Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Tables in PowerQuery editor do not reflect PowerBI data model using Dataverse connector

I have imported a table from Dynamics using the Dataverse connector.  I have transformed one of the tables in PowerQuery, which includes renaming the columns.  When I view the table in PowerBI data model, some columns reflect the display name.

Clearing the cache and reimporting the data does not help.

This appears to have started in May 2023. 

September 2022 is fine, April 2023 is fine, May 2023 is broken, June 2023 is broken.

Hi  @bhalicki 

This issue has been fixed . Please check it in PowerQuery .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @bhalicki 

You mean you rename the name of the column in PQ, but when you go back to the Desktop page, the name that was there before it was named appears, right? Does this problem only occur in reports where Dynamics is the data source?

Best Regards,

bhalicki
Helper II

Hi Ailsa,

It looks like when I go back to PQ, the column name is overwitten with the display name of the column (from Dataverse).

So, if I use the rename transformation step in PQ to rename a column, when I look at the model in desktop page, the column has the display name, not the name I have given it in PQ.

In April 2023 version, if I rename the column, the column name persists from PQ to Desktop model.  In May 2023 and June 2023, the display name overwrites the column name in the rename transformation step.

I have only seen this behaviour recently using the Dataverse connector.

Kind regards,

Ben.

bhalicki
Helper II

Hi Ailsa,

It appears to be an issue with SAP Hana connector as well:
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Desktop-showing-different-names-amp-colum...

Cheers,

Ben

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @bhalicki 

It’s a known issue . The engineers are actively working on this issue and I will come back with an update if there is any progress.

Best Regards,

Stefan_38
Frequent Visitor

Hi  Ailsa Tao,

Are there any updates on the issue with SAP HANA? It has really created a lot of issues for me and my team.

BR

Stefan

bhalicki
Helper II

Hi Ailsa,
Is there a timeframe for this fix?  It appears the problem is also with April 2023 version and has made a real mess of my data model.

Kind regards,
Ben.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @bhalicki 

this issue has been fixed , please check it with you Desktop .

Best Regards,

Stefan_38
Frequent Visitor

Great to hear Alisa,

Do we need to do something as user to get the hotfix? I just tested and I still get the same error as before. 

BR

Stefan

MoraesLucas
Regular Visitor

Stil having this problem, there is a way to deactivate auto naming? this should resolve my problem. 

the only way i was able to change names of coluns was in properties section. 

MoraesLucas_0-1690381569657.png

but this is a lot of more work 😕 
in power query is a lot better. 

references: 
Solved: Re: Power BI Desktop automatically changes column ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Power BI Desktop showing different names & columns... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Stefan_38
Frequent Visitor

Hi Alisa,

Any update would be appreciated. This bug makes it almost impossible for us to make a desktop refresh, which is needed in some cases. It prevents us from updating reports and stakeholders are starting to notice. If this cannot be fixed soon we have to start to look at other options.