Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power Query caches folder keeps increasing

Hi,

My Power Query chches folder keeps increasing in size and now takes up almost 40GB.

The location of the folder is:

C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerQuery\Cache\Caches

Looking in Query Options, "Masimum allowed" size is 4096MB.

It seems a new cache file is created, each time I refresh the connection.

I have also triede clearing the cache, via the "Clear Cache" option in Query Options. However, even if this actually frees up space on my C drive, it doesn't change the size of the Caches folder (mentioned above).

Br Espen

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi,

Unfortunately, I use the file path you posted but I can’t find the PowerQuery folder on my computer, I think you can try to click on the “Clear Cache” option in the desktop to clear the cache in the folder:

vrobertqmsft_0-1636009129275.png

For more info, please refer to this blog:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/how-to-clear-cache-of-power-bi-desktop

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

ECE
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks for your replay Robert,

Notice this issue is related to Power Query for Excel.

I have cleared the Cash as suggested multiple times. But it seems the update action creates cache in two locations:

1. C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerQuery\Cache
  2. C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerQuery\Cache\Caches

Location 1. I assuem this is the default location - direct files (not the subfolder Caches) in this folder, are in fact deleted. when I use the clear cache option.

Location 2. is only increasing in size, and is not cleared/reduced in size when clearing cache.

Abrahim_CPH
Regular Visitor

I'm not sure if this question is still relevent for you, but I just found this article https://www.excelinppc.com/recommended-power-query-settings/ which contains an explenation of your problem (I think) and how to solve it.

Look under Current Workbook  - Data Load

RafalT

Hi,

I'm struggling with the same issue. Here's the WinDirstat PrintScreen:

RafalT_0-1667467018288.png

Clearing caches does nothing. Just as @ECE described it. I'm running out of space at the moment (PQ Caches took 118 GB despite the 4GB limit!). Any clues on what to do? Should I delete those files myself? 

ECE
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @RafalT 

I have startede manually deleting all files from the Caches folder from time to time.