Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI scheduled refresh stopped refreshing without errors

Hi there! 

I got an unwelcome surprise this morning when my scheduled refresh suddenly stopped working. I made no change to the report file and no changes to the refresh schedule and PowerBI service shows no errors whatsoever.

The refresh schedule speaks volumes:

jaap_olsthoorn_0-1666682387164.png

It says my "next refresh" is in the past (you can see its the past because of the successful refreshes under it). I have never experienced this in my Power BI career, and without any error messages it is completely invisible. What could be going wrong here?

Thanks!

Jaap

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

This is a very strange phenomenon indeed. In any case, it's normal now. No need to delete the previous dataset to use it properly, thankfully .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Manual refresh just succeeded, but even switching off my refresh schedule and switching it on again did not alleviate the problem: 

jaap_olsthoorn_0-1666685538987.png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

Have you tried manual refresh ? If you refresh manually and fail , you can see the error message in refresh history in dataset settings . If you manually refresh successfully , then you can check your scheduled refresh settings .  You can refer to the content below .

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#configure-scheduled-refresh 

Best Regards,

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Manual refresh works perfectly, and so does API refresh.

Should have mentioned that, cause that actually makes the problem REALLY weird. There is nothing wrong with the file (I tried it in another workspace, there the refresh works), nor the connection and authentication (otherwise the manual refresh would fail too). Its specifically the refresh of this dataset in this workspace where only the refresh schedule is ignored. Republishing the file does not help.

I also tried switching the schedule off and on again, and removing it entirely (including the refresh times etc) but that has no effect. It refuses to pick up the schedule.

(PS please don't ask me to delete the file and republish. This is my master file to which all my reports are connected. I think deleting this will also delete all my reports, apps, basically our entire powerBI environment. It would also remove all of 50+ role assignments. It would take me weeks to get it back up and running)

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

What is your capacity ? Shared capacity or Premium capacity ? Or you can add a new data source for your dataset and configure the scheduled refresh again . 

Best Regards,

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Shared capacity.

When you say add a new data source, do you mean like, just a random thing like a web connector or something? And then remove it again after? Or is it enough to pull in another table from our data warehouse?

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

We can create multiple data sources for the same source data . Then you map the new data source to the dataset and configure new scheduled refresh . Or you can rename the pbix file and publish it to the same workspace to troubleshoot the cause .

Ailsamsft_0-1666772447554.png

Best Regards,

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Lets start with the last thing you mentioned: When I rename my file, upload to the same workspace and set a refresh schedule, the schedule does work. So it is something specific to this particular dataset.

Now the first thing: I created a new source, and made sure that the gateway connection went to the new source. I waited, but unfortunately, this did nothing for the refresh schedule. It is still being ignored.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Update: 

This Sunday, the scheduled refreshes suddenly started working again after 5 days of not working. I have no idea why, I was not working on Sunday, and noone else touches my PowerBI code & settings. But the issue resolved itself. Very frustrating because I had just connected all my reports to a new "master file" dataset.

So if you're in the same trouble as I am: be patient and if you're lucky the issue will resolve itself....

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

This is a very strange phenomenon indeed. In any case, it's normal now. No need to delete the previous dataset to use it properly, thankfully .

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting the exact same thing - Shared capacity, no changes, the problem started Sunday morning when no one was working. Adding a new datasource did not help, but republishing under another report name runs scheduled refresh just  fine (lol)...  Will wait and see if it fixes itself?