Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Excel - Getting PowerB DataSets "An error occurred when trying to fetchlist of datasets" - E

In Excel 365, this worked a week ago.... When I go to Get Data -> From Power BI

A sidebar error message comes up "Power BI Datasets" . An error occurred when tryign to fetch list of datasets. Unable to connect to Power BI to load your datasts. Please try again orcontact Power BI support.

Detials:

FetchDatasets was unsuccessfull.

RequestID: c4b3d200-a7e7-b431-9084-07c90d8d0e20

Status code 400

Time: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:32:45 GMT

Version 1.119.0

Hi @asjones ,

This has been acknowledged as a Power BI Known issue, and engineers will fix this in the future.
As a workaround:

Customer can navigate to the Power BI datasets hub and search for the dataset they need to connect to and click Analyze in Excel to generate an Excel workbook connected to the Power BI dataset.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
ikechukwu
Employee

While we work on a solution, a current workaround is going to the datasets hub in the Power BI service, searching for the dataset, and use Analyze in Excel to generate an Excel workbook.

asjones
Helper IV

@ikechukwu,

Will Analyze in Excel get a refreshed dataset? In my case I already had a data set, however I wanted to "Refresh all" the data set and realized the data was not changing/updating. That is what prompted me to dig into the problem and more and post the issue.

ikechukwu
Employee

@asjones Can you see the last refreshed date on the dataset in the Power BI service? If the data has not been updated since the last time you pulled the data, then I guess the data would maintain status quo in Excel.

Give me more context to see what else might be going on.

asjones
Helper IV

@ikechukwuyou are right one of my data sets had not updated properly also in the mix. Love so many happening at once 🙂

thanks for catching that

Alan

ikechukwu
Employee

@asjones Perfect. Happy that worked :-). We are actively working on a fix.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @asjones ,

This has been acknowledged as a Power BI Known issue, and engineers will fix this in the future.
As a workaround:

Customer can navigate to the Power BI datasets hub and search for the dataset they need to connect to and click Analyze in Excel to generate an Excel workbook connected to the Power BI dataset.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

mwaters4
Helper I

This is still an issue for us... 

The workaround does work, but this does need resolution from the Get Data in Excel method... c'mon Microsoft... lets get this resolved!  

Its much more intuitive for the users to Get Data from Excel than have to go to Dataset Hub to do it.

rsaccone
Frequent Visitor

Still no solution or ETA on fix?  

mmuddasar
Advocate I

@ikechukwu I believe you posted this yesterday https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/improved-power-bi-experience-in-excel/ which is the new Excel Power BI experience. It looks great, ... except it is of no use until Issue ID 175 (Unable to load Power BI dataset list in Excel) is fixed. The suggested workaround doesn't help at all.

We'd all appreciate an update please.

ikechukwu
Employee

@mmuddasar I believe this issue has been resolved as indicated at the top of this page Known issue - Unable to load Power BI dataset list in Excel - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you are still experiencing issues, can you please file a bug with details and I'd make sure it is looked at.

Thanks.