Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Excel - Getting PowerB DataSets "An error occurred when trying to fetchlist of datasets" - E

In Excel 365, this worked a week ago.... When I go to Get Data -> From Power BI

A sidebar error message comes up "Power BI Datasets" . An error occurred when tryign to fetch list of datasets. Unable to connect to Power BI to load your datasts. Please try again orcontact Power BI support.

Detials:

FetchDatasets was unsuccessfull.

RequestID: c4b3d200-a7e7-b431-9084-07c90d8d0e20

Status code 400

Time: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:32:45 GMT

Version 1.119.0

Hi @asjones ,

This has been acknowledged as a Power BI Known issue, and engineers will fix this in the future.
As a workaround:

Customer can navigate to the Power BI datasets hub and search for the dataset they need to connect to and click Analyze in Excel to generate an Excel workbook connected to the Power BI dataset.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
asjones
Helper IV

asjones_0-1650044971234.png

asjones
Helper IV
bnafa

I am getting the same issue. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @asjones ,

The taskbar in excel needs to load some files from the user's computer,

and these files (%localappdata%MicrosoftOffice\SolutionPackages) are not available on the user's machine. According to the discussion these files do not exist on the user's machine.

Please uninstall and reinstall Microsoft excel, then try again.Check if the problem still exists.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

asjones
Helper IV

What online discussion?
To ensure things were good on my computer I did the following

sfc /scannow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then I did an MS Office 365 Online repair (full rapair). That shoujld have taken the place of reinstalling office.

Also see this other discussion as it has starrted happenign to several perople
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Pivot-Table-connected-to-Power-BI-Datasets/idc-p/2461071

CAS-Tom
Frequent Visitor

@asjones did your steps mentioned above fix the issue?

asjones
Helper IV

@CAS-TomSorry I didn ot make that clear. I tired all that and nothing fixed the issue.

CAS-Tom
Frequent Visitor

@asjones Got it, thanks for your prompt reply.

It seems to me that the issue pertains to Fetching a list of datasets only.

If you have an existing file that's already linked to a dataset, you should be OK.

This problem is similar to going to a restaurant with no menu. If you are a regular customer and know what you want to order, you can still place the order. However, you won't be able to know what the restaurant's offerings are.

asjones
Helper IV

@CAS-Tom.... in my case I first found the issue when I tried to refresh and existing datat set and relized nothing had changed. I didn ot get the error, but my data set did not update.

asjones
Helper IV

I just tested this with my account in Citrix hosted VM and also get there error there.