Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Export only extracts 300 rows on Summarized Data, File Format .csv

Hi there,

I have a noticed a recent issue where people are trying to use the export via the Summarized Data and the File Format .csv 

It says it has a limit of 30,000 rows but on any export it only retrieves the first 300?

Can this be investigated please?

This issue has been fixed. Please update Power BI Desktop to the latest version and re-export.

Comments
IrkenCR
Employee

Hello everyone,

The issue has been escalated internally under the incident #419353175 and the Engineering team is working on the fix.

ETA: No ETA yet.

Workaround:

IrkenCR_0-1693863156662.png

Export to Excel file (.xlsx).

Open the Excel file and remove the first rows (usually contains the filters), your Excel sheet should contain only the data table.

Save it as a csv file.

Gaurav08

Hi there,

Is there any ETA when this csv export issue i.e. 300 records only

will get resolved?

slawomirPL

@Gaurav08 , got info from MS that ETA is next month, 

andymc123
Advocate III

@IrkenCR exporting to Excel doesn't work either.  If I download the pbix file to my PC and export data that way I am able to get 30,000 rows into a csv.  If In the web service and I try to export to cvs I only get 300 rows.  When I try to export to Excel (xlsx. 150,000 row max).  I get the error below.  "File couldn't be created  Executing the Query for the Export Data operation resulted in an error.".

For me it isn't a big deal.  I have the access to run it on my PC and query the systems.  My users rely on this and need to export to csv.  If they export to Excel the data is formatted differently and they need to spend time converting the data.  Saving as a .xlsx file changes the data.  PLUS they can't do it anyway, they get this error.

andymc123_0-1694010109651.png

aggiemusicag
Regular Visitor

We are having the same issue here. From what I can tell it's not applying the filters to the data which is causing it to be over 30,000 rows in my case. I have 4 filters applied to the page which should reduce my data to 2066 records. Without the filters my data is around 800K which is larger than the 30000 CSV limit. 

We can export to Excel using current layout and summarized layout with no issues, but when we try to export via CSV it only gives the first 300 rows. 

IrkenCR
Employee

Hello everyone,

The fix will be start to be deployed on 9/15, however it will reach production first days of next month.

In the meantime, use my previous recommendation about using Excel and then convert to CSV as a mitigation.

Thank you,

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue.

Workaround for now:

For the desktop a possible mitigation is to use the older version of the desktop.

In the service, the issue is specific to exporting to Csv format. A possible mitigation is to export to excel and the convert the file to csv.

I will update here if there is any progress,  please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

blopez11
Resident Rockstar

We are experiencing this as well.  Just reported to me today.  Glad to see a fix is on the horizon.

cjmpetroleum
Frequent Visitor

This is trash. I get a sampling warning and it exports 21 rows to csv. My whole dataset is only 19K rows!

SevsBo
Helper III

Experiencing the same issue, started today from what I can see. I have a table visual that comes to 1600 rows, and PBI comes up with an error saying the data is too large and sampling might occur. Then it exports only 300 rows.

Hope this gets resolved quickly!