Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DirectQuery Dataflows IDbConnection error

I have a dataflow published in the Power BI Service with the Enhanced Compute Engine turned on. When I add the dataflow to Power BI Desktop as an import, it works as expected. If I choose DirectQuery instead and click load, I get this:

Error.png

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@nicg 

I cannot reproduce the issue. You may try the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

strawn
Frequent Visitor

Same here : can not load a Dataflow with Enhanced Compute Engine On using Direct Query in Power BI Desktop

strawn_1-1608818177764.png

strawn_2-1608818190527.png

strawn_0-1608817995288.png

MBonnett
Advocate II

This worked for my team prior to the December Power BI Update and I think it is related to an issue that I am having with the new DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services functionality, too. 

image.png

My other issue, that I believe is related, can be found here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DirectQuery-for-Power-BI-datasets-and-Analysis-Services/idc-... 

nicg
Advocate II

@v-chuncz-msft 

I am on the latest version. This worked fine in a previous version, though I'm not sure how many versions ago that was.

I tried switching the dataflow workspace from Gen1 to Gen2 as well as turning off and back on the Enhanced Compute Engine at the dataflow level, but it didn't help.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage

Same error for me...I just installed a new version of Power BI Desktop this morning

Version: 2.88.802.0 64-bit (December 2020)

This is at the top of the stack trace:

Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.CannotRetrieveModelException: An error occurred while loading the model. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.DataExtensionException: Failed to get CSDL. ---> MsolapWrapper.MsolapWrapperException: Failure encountered while getting schema

at MsolapWrapper.Utils.ThrowErrorIfHrFailed(Int32 hr, String message)

Kenyan
Regular Visitor

same issue for me

Kenyan
Regular Visitor

i believe this issue is related to december version, where can i download the previous version?

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage

@Kenyan 

Previous versions of Power BI Desktop can be downloaded from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive 

senzero
Regular Visitor

Hi.  I am experiencing the exact same issue with my Dataflow and Power BI December 2020 release.  Please help.

nicg
Advocate II

I rolled back to the November release and it works fine. So, it's definitely an issue with December.