Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DAX function "RELATED" does not work between DirectQuery and Import tables.

When using the DAX function "RELATED" to add a new column from an Imported table to a DirectQuery table, I receive an error. This error does not occur if both tables are using DirectQuery.

Column: SampleColumn = RELATED(ImportTable[Column])

Error: "The column 'ImportTable[Column]' either doesn't exist or doesn't have a relationship to any table available in the current context."

Relationship: DirectQueryTable[SampleKey] (many) has a relationship with ImportTable[SampleKey] (one)

Cardinality = Many to One (*:1)

Cross filter direction = Both

Make this relationship active = Checked

Note: When creating the column using "RELATED" in the DirectQueryTable table, ImportTable shows up as a suggestion.

Comments
Henrique_Linck

Hi, has this bug been fixed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, same issue here 🙂 

StockTraitor
Regular Visitor

3 years now and still no update???

SebastiaN4K

Dear MS, 

I have same issue like others, please help. 

PowerBi Desktop - Version: 2.116.622.0 64-bit (April 2023)

kabanowster
Regular Visitor

After 4 years **bleep** has not been solved? What is this?

tyw214
Helper I

it's kind of ridiculous this still doesn't work... not allowing refresh of directquery datsource to another PBI Dataset. it's insane. why even have that option if you can't refresh?

khwdata
Regular Visitor

June 2023 The problem still exisits. Anyone have a work-around?

tyw214
Helper I

not an "efficient" way to do things, but you COULD created a calculated table FROM the directquery source, and link that one instead... but yea, not elegant.

SebastiaN4K

I added a support table (duplicated value) in Datavers, then between two DATAVERSE tables RELATED function works. However, this does not solve the problem, but I can measure the units value in my table.

The disadvantage of this solution is I have to upload prices added to the second table.  

BR
Sebastian

danextian
Super User

Four years later and this is still an issue. So is it really a bug or by design?