Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Can't update direct query model - wrong error message

I have a datamodel with a few tables from the same database. The database to be used is driven by a parameter "DatabaseName". When I try to update the model I am getting an incorrect error that claims "the tables are not from the direct query same source" which is wrong as all tables use the same database parameter and are from the same database:

2018-08-11 13_01_52-Acterys Connector DQ 2 - Power BI Desktop.png2018-08-11 13_03_50-Advanced Editor.png

2018-08-11 13_05_56-2018-08-11 13_03_18-Advanced Editor.png - IrfanView.png

Martin

Planning & Writeback in Power BI -> Acterys

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @karaoan,

Does the report only has one data source: Azure SQL database? Do you connect to Azure SQL database via DirectQuery mode? 

If it's DirectQuery mode, all tables must come from a single database, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery#limitations-of-directquery

From your screenshots, after you change parameter DatabaseName value, both tables Entity and OLAP CUBE_Finance_Monthly_WB connect to the new database. As there are other tables in the report, do they change connection to new database as well or still connect to original database? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

karaoan
Kudo Commander

@v-qiuyu-msft all tables come from the same Azure SQL db but this is defined via a parameter

Martin

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @karaoan,

Would you please try to update your Power BI desktop to the version 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018) then test again? 

Please also check below highlighted option: 

q8.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

karaoan
Kudo Commander

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft this unfortunately hasn't fixed the issue. I can send you the relevant pbix file if you like?

karaoan
Kudo Commander

@v-qiuyu-msft This issue still prevails. We urgently would need a fix for that.