Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BUG: Excel - Connect to PowerBI dataset pane doesn't load

Hi PowerBI Users

I currently have an issue connecting to my PowerBI datasets using Excel.
When going through either Data -> Insert Data -> Power Platform -> PowerBI Dataset or Insert -> Pivot table -> PowerBI Dataset
the pane opens up in right side of the screen, however the screen is completely white as seen in the attached image.

Previously I haven't had any issues with connecting to PowerBI datasets, but all of a sudden it goes completely white.
The same error happens when my colleagues try to connect to datasets.

It is possible to connect going through the PowerBI portal and pressing "Analyze in Excel", however this is not really something I can make my colleagues use.

Helm_0-1682429626797.png

Hi @Helm 

I didn't find dataset in Power Platform . What is the version for your excel ? Can you provide more operations for us to refer to ?

vyetao1msft_0-1682487058094.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Helm 

I didn't find dataset in Power Platform . What is the version for your excel ? Can you provide more operations for us to refer to ?

vyetao1msft_0-1682487058094.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

GabriPowerBI

I open a new empty excel workbook, and then try to insert a Pivot Table connected to a power BI dataset.

Normally the datasets that I have access to should be displayed in the pane on the right, but now this pane is completely empty.

There are no error messages (exactly like yours).

If I instead go to app.powerbi.com, and log in with the same user, I can access all my datasets as expected.

This functionality has worked before. It seems that there has been a recent change somewhere that is causing this problem. It might be a windows update, an automatic update to Excel, some change on the Power BI server side, or perhaps some unknown change in our corporate firewall.

There is a valid workaround by navigating to the dataset in app.powerbi.com and selecting "Analyze in Excel", but I really want to have this work from inside Excel.

I have tried restarting my computer with no change. Some of my colleagues have the same problem, and some do not have this problem.

The version of Excel I am using is Version 2303 Build 16227

Any ideas?

Helm
Regular Visitor

Exactly as @GabriPowerBI explains it.

The connect to PowerBI functionality has been part of my Excel for atleast half a year now and I haven't had the issue before. I'm guessing the error is part of the latest build as it seems to have appeared after a forced software update from our IT-department.

Usually I would be able to connect to all my PowerBI datasets as made available in the online portal. I can then use these datasets as I would use a SSAS cube. However as explained through the inital post I can no longer access the datasets, unless I'm using a workaround.

Helm_0-1682661723755.png

I'm using the following version 
Microsoft® Excel® til Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2303 Build 16.0.16227.20202) 64-bit

EDIT: So I just tried updating my Excel and it seems there is another issue. When going to account and looking for my version number I get one version:

Helm_0-1682663935429.png

However, when I actually press the button I get another version

Helm_1-1682663977975.png

I believe my initial version might have been the same as Gabris.

Updating Excel did not fix the issue.

Best regards
Helm

cassidy
Power Participant

@Helm 

I didn't see your Issue initially, I also raised one that is in the "Accepted" status FYI

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Excel-Power-BI-Datasets-is-showing-Blank-pane-to-Users/i...

@v-yetao1-msft