Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Single Gateway Connection to multiple Databases

I built a Power Query Source = sql.databases("SERVERNAME"). It returns all DBs on the server, and all DBs share an idential schema. I filter & expand to get the same table across all DBs, and see all checked out files. This works great in PBI desktop, and I can publish the report without issue.

When I go to add the gateway connection, I'm forced to select a single DB on the server, and I cannot map the connection between my data source, and the gateway. I've tried using "*"," ","master","null", and other combos, but nothing works. Is this possible? Screenshots attached...

Samson217_0-1675787527192.png

Samson217_1-1675787565193.png

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Samson217 

You mentioned "I'm forced to select a single DB on the server, and I cannot map the connection between my data source" , can you explain it in detail ? From the first screenshot , the second data source corresponds to having an add to gateway , you can add the corresponding data source through this .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Samson217 

You mentioned "I'm forced to select a single DB on the server, and I cannot map the connection between my data source" , can you explain it in detail ? From the first screenshot , the second data source corresponds to having an add to gateway , you can add the corresponding data source through this .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Samson217

Thanks @v-yetao1-msft  for following up. My PBI desktop SQL datasource connects to the SQL server, without specifying a specific DB (I want to get the same table from 10+ idential DBs). However I cannot create a gateway connection without specifing a DB on the server (screenshot 2).  If I do specify a DB during gateway connection setup, I cannot map my datasource to the connection (screenshot 1). What I really need is for the DB name on the gateway connection setup to be optional. 

MComminsALC

I have a very similar setup and problem where the query includes more than one database on the same server, but only one database can be entered in the connection setup. Was a solution found?