Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SQL Connection - "0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted."

Following update to "Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024)" I can now nolonger connect to a particular slq server.

Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)

This is not my server and it does not support encryption.  Until now I have been able to turn off encryption and have not had any SQL Certificate Chain errors.

I can still connect with the same settings via SSMS.  I don't think I can try things like trustcertificate in the connection string with PowerBI.

Has anyone a solution to this or any reports that this is a bug to be addressed would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Hi all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
rbrocks
Advocate IV

@Tiemen I can confirm I still see the issue. I had a ticket with Microsoft open and they informed me today that the fix would be in the March version. In the meantime, they suggested using the previous December 2023 version. This has worked for me as a workaround until the March release. 

Tiemen
Advocate II

@rbrocksThat's to bad, thanks for the quick reply tho! 

rbrocks
Advocate IV

@Tiemen Ok so a different Microsoft tech just called me and said this new version number you mentioned was released 3/2 and does work. But you have to check encrypt connection on your data source settings.  I tried this on the call and it did work. Apologize for the confusion, two different techs with different information. But trying to update here so hopefully ti helps someone else too. 

Tiemen
Advocate II

@rbrocks That sounds hopeful!! The update isn't rolled out yet through the company portal so fingers crossed 😉

Tiemen
Advocate II

@rbrocks The update didn't solved the issue for us. But we tested it with version 2.126.1261.0 released yesterday which is an other release as you used. I don't know whats going on but I think there is more then we know...

At65
Regular Visitor

Hi,

We are still having the same problem using the the latest PowerBi Desktop Version: 2.126.1261.0 64-bit (February 2024)

For now we are using previous versions 2.124.2028.0, December which works connecting and refreshing (as does 2.123.742.0, November)

dg23

Is there any ETA from microsoft on a solve for this issue? It has killed our report automation and other tools built on the power platform that depend on successful sql connection. I dont want to commit resource to developing a workaround if a solution is days away. Thanks!

Tiemen
Advocate II

@dg23 @rbrocks From MS support I recieved the following last week:

We have a new added feature to allow connection to designated SQL servers with either self-signed certificates or not configured for encryption. Before adding the feature , you would fail to establish a secure connection and users would be unable to connect. Now, if you trust the server, you can add it to the SQL trusted servers list. This prevents the need to purchase and deploy new certificates.

In your case , you have the following two options :

1. You should either consider getting the certificate into SQL Server if you don't prefer to apply the environment variable to all users .
  2. Trust the server following the previously provided steps Power Query SQL Server connector - Power Query | Microsoft Learn
  3. You can use the group policy Create Environment Variables with Group Policy | Microsoft Learn , for this please engage your Active directory team to check if GPO can be used to push the configuration and let us know if you need any help to open a collab with the windows team.
Steven_Boss
Regular Visitor

Can anyone please confirm this issue is being worked on and when a fix is to be expected?
I now need to ask our IT daily to re-install the December 2023 version in order to be able to work.
What worries me a bit, is that I don't even see this on the Known Issues page.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.

elio-douglas
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

Up to today, I was facing issues only on Power BI Desktop, but I've been facing the same errors today on Power BI Service, granted that the connection is mapped through data gateway.
So now, both Desktop and Service are returning me the same error.

I wanted to ask, has anyone encountered the same errors on the server or have your errors been limited only to the Desktop version?

Thank you in advance for your answers!