Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerQuery: Function linked table generation

Please add a feature to generate a linked table from a function.

PowerQuery has a good feature where you can generate Functions from tables that have paramenters. 

When you do that the table becomes linked to the function and any changes to the table are applied to the Function. It is very useful for testing \ designing. 

Unfortunately, once you move the Function to another workbook the link is broken. So if you want to make any adjustments you either have to find your initial workbook or do it in code with no way to see intermediary results.

It would be very useful to be able to generate a linked table\linked parameters directly from a function.

Comments
DMM
Advocate I
Advocate I

Great idea @Anonymous. Unfortunately the mods will be quick to say you need to submit an idea at ideas.powerbi.com and close this as thread "solved" 😞

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Unfortunately, once you move the Function to another workbook the link is broken. So if you want to make any adjustments you either have to find your initial workbook or do it in code with no way to see intermediary results.

Do you mean the URL parameters doesn't take effect on other tables/data sources? I'm confused on your description, could you please clarify more details?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@

Hi! 

On a screenshot below I have a query ft_IFRS_FuturesImport that opens a file using a path in a parameter pFilePath to get data. I used right click=>create function to generate a function fIFRS_FuturesImport. That function is now linked to my query and any changes made to it are reflected in the function which is usefull.

2020.06.22_LinkedFunction.JPG

However, if I copy the function into another workbook, I don't get the connection between it and the initial query - even if I copy them together. At other times I don't have initial query altogether - only a function. 

I'm asking for a feature that would be a reverse of "create funtion", where you can use an existing function to generate a query and a set of parameters that mirror the function and that will change it if they are changed. 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Actually currently power bi doesn't support such feature, I would suggest you create an idea here to help power bi improve.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao