Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI version doesn't support custom visual (sampleBarChart)

Power BI version: 2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018)

I've been following this tutorial https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals-sampleBarChart.

I can package the custom visual, import it into Power BI but when I try to add a field as "Category Data" and/or "Measure Data" I get the following error: "Your version of Power BI Desktop does not support this custom visual Please update Power BI Desktop to the lastest version"

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @nicolo_scarpa,

Please downgrade the Visuals API to 1.12.0 then test again. See: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Cannot-use-custom-visuals-in-Power-BI-Desktop/td-p/464700

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

nicolo_scarpa
Frequent Visitor

I've downgraded the API version of the sample widget created with the "pbiviz new" command to 1.12.0 and now it works.

Please, notice that the "PowerBI-visuals-sampleBarChart" example doesn't work even when downgraded to the 1.12.0 API.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @nicolo_scarpa,

I have sent a email to consult a custom visual development expert. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-viig
Community Champion

Hi @nicolo_scarpa,

Power BI Desktop July was released on 07/23/2018. That means you can use API 1.13.0 and Sample Bar Cahrt in the latest PBI Desktop.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

nicolo_scarpa
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ignat,

I've installed the latest release of Power BI Desktop (2.60.5169.3201 64-bit (luglio 2018)).

Now the "PowerBI-visuals-sampleBarChart" works properly.

Thank you for the support.

Kind regards,

Nicolò