Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Memory Allocation for Tier

Hi all,

I have done a routine check of the datasets within our Premium EM1 Capacity and found a small number of reports (within the same App Workspace), have not been refreshed, some have.

The error is:

Processing error: You have reached the maximum allowable memory allocation for your tier. Consider upgrading to a tier with more available Memory.

This is a little striking, has anybody else seen this issue? We have an extremely small number of reports utilising EM1 Premium, with average to little usage (development phase), yet we have exceeded 80% memory thrashing 8 times in the last 7 days.

Are the particular reports failing at fault here, or have their refreshes arbitrarily been chosen to pause?

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @darranm,

The error message is very clear. Since the details are hard to share through a forum, please file a support ticket here.

create_ATicket

Best Regards.

Dale

darranm
Advocate II

Thank you. I appreciate that the error message is very clear (from your perspective), however there are aspects which aren't, Premium SKUs as a whole have not been clear from the start.

If you would be able to point me in the direction of some clear documentation, regarding memory thrashing, more detailed than the two lines given here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-premium-manage, that would be great.

I can't see a mention of the paushing of dataset schedules here? Are the datasets chosen to pause random? Is there methodology here?

Thanks

Darran

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have same same issue in my model using a A1 Sku. I cannot refresh it. It hits memory every time. "You have reached the maximum allowable memory allocation for your tier. Consider upgrading to a tier with more available memory. The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface."

This doesn't make sense at all to me. When you buy a Premium Sku it cannot refresh, but in a shared cpacity I have no issues refreshing the dataset. 

mikaelhyensjo
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue in my modell using A1 SKU. We cannot refresh any reports for the momement.

What should we do to be able to refresh?

We signed up for Premium to be able to get this right.

/Mikael

hzumaeta
Regular Visitor

I have been having this same issue. This tends to happen on the weekends a lot more. Have gone through support and they don't know what to do either. Also on A1.

mikaelhyensjo
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

I talked with support yesterday and we checked the gateway = ok

We then republished the reports and was able to schedlue them with success. I was doing the same thing during daytime and i dident work.

Now its working again and I hope it will be successfull during the wekend.

Regards Mikael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

After creating a support ticket I got the answer than when the datamodel is uncompressed during refresh, we would need to scale up to A2 (even though the total GB is 30 for a1). I have now created an azure automation job to handle that using power shell script. So we at least can keep it down for the rest of the day

peytonmcbrayer
Advocate I

Man, this SUCKS!  I have the same issue.  We initially were forced to purchase EM3 to get our product live because MS never released the EM1 and EM2 tiers as promised.   I've been working on Azure tiers starting at A1, and I have no issues rendering reports, drilling down, etc, but my models fail on refresh EVERY SINGLE TIME.   My models are large (500mb+), but should be WELL within the memory allocation associated with the A1 or A2 tiers.  This sure seems like a bug to me.  

peytonmcbrayer
Advocate I

@Anonymous  Where did you find the PS script info for scaling the PBI tier?   I've been searching, and haven't found what I need yet.