Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gateway Data Source Partially Online - Oracle

I am also having the same issue. My gateway clusters are both online and I have gateway connection to an Oracle host, in one of the gateway cluster I have an established connection to the Oracle host and the other cluster it is showing as Partially Online, what does this mean? Need help. I have users that are trying to refresh their datasets and continuously receive an error.

Thanks,

Renu 

Hi @rgupta25 

You might encounter any of several errors from Oracle when the naming syntax is either incorrect or not configured properly:

• ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
  • ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.
  • ORA-12541: TNS:no listener.
  • ORA-12170: TNS:connect timeout occurred.
  • ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA.

These errors might occur if the Oracle client either isn't installed or isn't configured properly. If it's installed, verify that the tnsnames.ora file is properly configured and you're using the proper net_service_name. You also need to make sure that the net_service_name is the same between the machine that uses Power BI Desktop and the machine that runs the gateway. For more information, see Install the Oracle client.

You might also encounter a compatibility issue between the Oracle server version and the Oracle Data Access Client version. Typically, you want these versions to match, as some combinations are incompatible. For instance, ODAC 12.x does not support Oracle Server version 9.

Manage your data source - Oracle - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Ι  have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: Re: New Error ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve the ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @rgupta25 

You might encounter any of several errors from Oracle when the naming syntax is either incorrect or not configured properly:

• ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
  • ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.
  • ORA-12541: TNS:no listener.
  • ORA-12170: TNS:connect timeout occurred.
  • ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA.

These errors might occur if the Oracle client either isn't installed or isn't configured properly. If it's installed, verify that the tnsnames.ora file is properly configured and you're using the proper net_service_name. You also need to make sure that the net_service_name is the same between the machine that uses Power BI Desktop and the machine that runs the gateway. For more information, see Install the Oracle client.

You might also encounter a compatibility issue between the Oracle server version and the Oracle Data Access Client version. Typically, you want these versions to match, as some combinations are incompatible. For instance, ODAC 12.x does not support Oracle Server version 9.

Manage your data source - Oracle - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Ι  have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: Re: New Error ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve the ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

rgupta25
Frequent Visitor

The data source status in the "Manage connections and gateways" portal is showing as "Partially Online". Here is the error message: 

Error code: DataAccessError
Data source error: Data access error

Time: Wed Mar 22 2023 21:47:22 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
:
: Received error payload from gateway service with ID 16762: Mashup expression evaluation error. Reason: ..

This isn't a problem with the TNSNAMES.ora file as the data source is ONLINE on another cluster and this morning re-verifed the TNSNAMES.ora file on the non-working cluster and for about the 10 mintues the status showed up as ONLINE and then went back to Partially Online again. 

I do have the latest version of ODAC installed on the servers and all. That isn't the issue. The connection was working successfully up until 3/17/23.

Thanks,

Renu