Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ExportDataFailed Error from Embed API

I have seen others post this issue with no response so here is hoping that this will increase the noise on this issue. It is extremely critical and urgent for us.

We have been using the visual.exportData method for a couple of years to export summary or underlying data from Power BI visuals. All of a sudden this is no longer working with a very ambiguous error message:

error = {message'ExportDataFailed'detailedMessage'Export visual data has failed'errorCodeundefinedlevel3technicalDetails:{
errorInfo: undefined
requestId: undefined
}}

The issue seems to only be affecting table and matrix visuals.

We are using the latest v2.18.7 javascript client version

Hi,

According to my research, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

Issue description: Unable to export Summarized data for the Matrix visual with an error

ICM: 275173415

I will update here once I get any information.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
kwyoung001
Regular Visitor

We use a 3rd party tool to export data from PBI and they said MS has an issue 

We have recently been aware of an issue affecting some customers where Power BI reports exported to data formats such as MS Excel - Data Only or CSV fail with a “Could not read data back from Power BI” error.

The error is caused by the visual.exportData() API call to Power BI. Unfortunately, the error returned by Power BI is completely unhelpful.

csssoft
Frequent Visitor

It is affecting all visual types 😕

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

According to my test, I can normally export the data of table or matrix to Excel and CSV with the current layout or summarized type in the Power BI service, would you like to post a download link of the pbix file with this issue without the sensitive data if it’s possible and we can help you to check if it’s an existing issue in the Power BI?

vrobertqmsft_0-1639967336229.png

vrobertqmsft_1-1639967336231.png

I also suggest you to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

stevenamani
Advocate II

Here is a sample PBIX having the issue. Try exporting the Features Matrix visual using summary. We have been able to export this visual in the past and this PBIX is not new

https://we.tl/t-PYNbjfDvp8

csssoft
Frequent Visitor

As stated, the problem is an error that occurs when using the API to export. It is not a problem when you load a report and export manually from Power BI service. It happens on all reports with all visual types, and there is no relation to Power BI desktop. These reports have been exporting without issues for months and the reports have not changed between Thursday and Friday when the errors started happening. The issue has been reported by many of our customers in the US, Europe, Asia and Australia. This is a priority 1 urgent situation. @v-robertq-msft Can you please escalate this? 

sa-
Frequent Visitor

We are suffering from the same problem too, since friday. The problem is related to the use of the exportData via the js API. What we noticed, is that if you pass the call a second time it works. Please could you investiguate this and solve it ASAP. All our reports are down because we rely on this api to prefill our portal with data sourced from the report. 

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @stevenamani ,

According to your test pbix file, I can still successfully export the Features matrix to CSV in the Power BI desktop:

vrobertqmsft_0-1640055044698.png

vrobertqmsft_1-1640055044700.png

It’s better if you can post a video that shows the reproducing precedure of your exporting issue so that we can help you to make sure if this is an issue in the Power BI.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

sa-
Frequent Visitor

@v-robertq-msft : the problem is in the api, not in the GUI interface. 

for example in my report I try to export the data using visual.exportData() of a visual called "version" and I get the following error:

the second execution, and using the same snippet of code I get a good result:

sa_0-1640099679041.png

for this experiment I used power bi js library playground (https://playground.powerbi.com/fr-fr/dev-sandbox)

stevenamani
Advocate II

Here is a video of the issue using the dev playground (https://playground.powerbi.com/en-us/dev-sandbox)

https://we.tl/t-eMxx0AvB6M

Let me know if you have more questions

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi,

According to my research, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

Issue description: Unable to export Summarized data for the Matrix visual with an error

ICM: 275173415

I will update here once I get any information.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,