Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services: Error Message

I have just upgraded to the December 2020 release to test out the 'DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services' preview feature.

After connecting to my Dataset and then attempting to connect to a new data source I receive the following error message when adding the dataset as a local model:

"DirectQuery to AS - DW Common BI Model
The given key was not present in the dictionary."
Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crobaseball2 & @MarcelRossouw Hey, I seem to recall seeing this again in some of my files.  I believe it was resolved by "Refresh Preview" of the offending Query.  In my case, I think that the imported data had held onto a key that was no longer available in the source data (Perhaps I had switched between my BAT and PROD enviornments and the key did not exist in one or other).  So a refresh preview dropped that hold and picked up all the new keys.

For fun, I banged this error message into ChatGpt to see if it could help.  Here is it's answer:

Sure, I'd be happy to help with this error message in Power BI. The "DirectQuery to AS - DW Common BI Model" error typically indicates that Power BI is unable to find a matching value in a dictionary or lookup table. This error can occur if the data model in Power BI is not properly configured, or if there is a data mismatch between the source data and the lookup table.

To troubleshoot this error, you can try the following steps:

Check the data model in Power BI to ensure that all tables and relationships are properly defined and that there are no errors or inconsistencies.

Check the data in the source tables and the lookup table to make sure that they match and that there are no missing or incorrect values.

If you are using a custom query to load data into Power BI, check the query to make sure that it is correctly written and that it is returning the expected data.

If the error persists, try refreshing the data in Power BI to see if that resolves the issue. If not, you may need to rebuild the data model or recreate the lookup table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

have similar issue latest Version: 2.114.664.0 64-bit (February 2023)

any solution or alternative

ESANR
Regular Visitor

PROBLEM WITH POWER BI DESKTOP: "The specified key was not present in the dictionary"

Hi all,

I recently faced a problem with the error that you see in the subject. After working hours on power bi query, when I go to apply the modifications on power bi desktop it is saying that "The specified key was not present in the dictionary". In fact I am not able to apply the changes and start working on report (in frontend).
My data is coming from ORACLE and I am connecting by vpn.
From power query I can connect to the DB as before.
What I did till now was reinstalling the Oracle, VPN and power bi, but nothing has changed.
This work is important to me and I want to save it.
Thank YOU all in advance.

ER