Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataverse Connector | Multiline Text Column

Hi lovely Community,

just trying the brand new Dataverse Connector with Direct Query. 

Connection works fine, but now I've recognized I can't find my "description" column of standard table "account".

I guess its because "description" is an multiline text column?

Or why I can't find it with the Dataverse Connector?

2021-01-04 15_03_21-Smart - Stammdatentabellen.xlsx - Excel.png

image.png

BR,

Sven

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Ksven 

I guess its because "description" is an multiline text column

I don't think this is reason for this, I do not have Dataverse and i think it's either in some other table or it's not availabe.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also having this issue, but I it seems related to an issue with Dataverse and how they deal with multiline text. When PowerBI direct connects to a table, it will not return fields of the multi line text type. 

However I cannot upload strings longer than about 100 charachters (documentation says 4000 should be ok) to a Dataverse text column from a csv. The upload just doesn't upload those rows without a notification. It wants the data type to be multi line, but then PowerBI doesn't recognize those.

cepjc

I am experiencing the same issue. No 'multiline text' fields/columns in CDS/Dataverse (e.g. description or any other multiline) are available to add them to a Paginated Report using the Power BI Paginated Report builder.

Using a data source: Common Data Service (Preview) (SqlClient) 

Server: xxxxx.crmx.dynamics.com, 5558

Any advice?

Any reference to this issue in the documentation? Or any indication if the team is aware/working on it?

Thank you in advance,

cepjc

LiyaZhao
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. No "multiline text" appear when I tried to build a report using direct query.  I think it's a bug or limitation for direct query. 

Any advice to this issue?

Thanks! @v-lili6-msft 

rjhale
Helper IV

I've also just come across this issue with multiline text fields.  It would be nice to know if this is a bug or if it's simply not going to be supported in the Direct Query Dataverse connector.  I haven't found any mention of it in the documentation.

joe_wagner
Regular Visitor

Same issue here: Have multiline text field on several CRM entities, none are coming through Dataverse connector, columns just do not show up. Must be a bug as this is mentioned nowhere in the docs.

Workaround ist to join these fields through 2nd query on the same entity via legacy CDS connector, but this results in higher datamodel complexity and makes many of the Dataverse connector benefits obsolete (Query Folding etc.). 

Please fix this, Microsoft!

rjhale
Helper IV

@joe_wagner I did the same this with adding a 2nd query using the legacy CDS connector.  I really don't like this configuration, but it works for the proof of concept I'm currently developing.  I really hope someone from Microsoft can explain why this is the case and/or what the plan is to correct it.  

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  

This issue has been submitted to PG, icm: 224028509

will update here once I get any information.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, has there been any updates on this yet? I'm experiencing the same issue

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi all

I get this from pg:

from: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/data-platform/dataverse-sql-query

The following Dataverse datatypes are not supported with the SQL connection: binaryimagentextsql_variantvarbinaryvirtualHierarchyIdmanagedpropertyfilexmlpartylisttimestamp.

Multi-line text fields are considered 'ntext', so they're not currently supported.

Regards,

Lin