Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataSource.Error: The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type

Hi all,

I having below error. Yesterday night there wasnt any error but today I m not able to refresh my dataset.

DataSource.Error: The downloaded data is HTML, which isn't the expected type

Problem with that is google sheet related, I tried everything but still getting the same error.

I republished google sheets, delete credentials in power bi, added all my sources from scratch and still getting this silly error.

any idea?

Ps., sometimes "refresh preview" is working in Power Query editor but when I close editor and refresh it, allways getting error..

Comments
justin_lah

I had to change my google sheet share settings to "anyone with link". After I did this all of my google sheet connections started to work again.  

erenonem
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Justin, It didn't seem likely at first but it totally worked, thank you very much.

But still not understood the issue, cause till yesterday I d been using same google files for 10 months. Nothing changed and all of a sudden it stopped working.

Anyway, for today you fixed my problem, thanks again..

jamesjeff9
Regular Visitor

Still, for users with clients that have a concern re: data privacy this is not a long term solution. 

I found that if you Embed instead of Link when Publishing to Web and then use the URL in between the code below you can connect to the Excel table in PowerBI. 

<iframe src="URL"></iframe>

The one issue with this approach is that there are slight differences between the way the table imports (e.g., empty rows in row 1 and 3) which cause a little rework in Query Editor. Fine if you have one workbook; however, a pain if you have many workbooks and data sources.

EugeniaBochko
Advocate II

Hello people!

Thank you all for your suggestions. It really allowed me somehow to revive my report (without changing privacy because my NDA forbids it)

So, some of my resources come back with the next steps:

• Click the gear icon near your source and change source to CSV Document press OK
  • EugeniaBochko_0-1606161489193.png

• If you have the table below change the source back to Excel Workbook or if (It worked not for all my resources)

EugeniaBochko_0-1606202232541.png

OR if you originally downloaded the CSV source, then replace it with Excel, and then again with CSV.

• Then If you have the following table change back source to Excel Workbook and do the next steps:
  • EugeniaBochko_2-1606161489211.png

• Open you online google sheet
  • Publish Entire Document to Microsoft Excel
  • Add new source with such link (with your document code) “”https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSG32i7unNJg84UyCA-Nxa34SwP9P4a5zgm8cSaUAij40_L3ffwEiaANCc1F-iDVXFyjiJ_UKs-cnk2/pub?format=xlsx&id=2PACX-1vSG32i7unNJg84UyCA-Nxa34SwP9P4a5zgm8cSaUAij40_L3ffwEiaANCc1F-iDVXFyjiJ_UKs-cnk2””
  • Then you can see your sheets with names like Table 1, Table 2…choose appropriate
  • Unfortunately, you should perform all you applied steps as in your old source.

Given steps worked for me. I hope it helps you with something

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi all

Thank you for sharing the solution.

Regards,

Lin