Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Copy as image with caption: bottom of visual cut off

For some visuals, the bottom of the visual is cut off when using the Copy as image with caption feature form Power BI service.

In the screenshot below, there are two pretty simple bar chart visuals. Both visuals are identical in every way. Same pizel dimensions, same data & measures for the axis & legend, same formatting options applied. I've reviewed every option/attribute for the two visuals in Power BI Desktop (March '23 edition) and cannot determine any difference of any kind (except for the position on the page). Below you see the two identical visuals, rendered in the Power BI service. Of course, it would be quite difficult to show that everything between the two is identical in the Desktop authoring environment; please take my word that I've checked every single thing.

rfonash_vntg_0-1679080259567.png

However, when I click the Copy as image with caption icon on the left visual, the result is this below. Notice the y-axis labels are a different scale than what thsi visual itself displays, and, more importantly, the bottom of the visual is missing - the lower half of the 2nd column's data label is cut off and the x-axis categories and label (the years themselves and the label 'Year') are missing. When pasted into something (such as a Word doc, for example), the pasted image is identical to that displayed in the screenshot - e.g. the pasted image and caption is rendered with the errors exactly as shown in the 'popup'.

rfonash_vntg_1-1679080452981.png

Clicking the same icon, Copy as image with caption, this time on the right visual, displays almost exactly as the visual is displayed in the report. The y-axis labels are the same as what is displayed on the report page itself, the data labels in the bottom of the columns are not cut off (this is the one difference between the visual; as rendered on the report page and how it is rendered when copied as image with caption - notice there is a data label for the lower portion in the first column, whereas in the first screenshot, showing the two side-by-side identical visuals, there is not), and the x-axis categories (the years) and the label ('Year') are displayed as expected - as they are on the visual on the report. 

rfonash_vntg_2-1679080642509.png

I cannot determine ANY difference between the left and right 'versions' of the visuals, yet they yield very different results when utilizing the copy as image with caption feature.

Thoughts or suggestions? If there are any clarifying questions, please do let me know.

Hi @rfonash_vntg ,

Please check the screenshot of my test below, I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. Is there a problem with my reproduction steps, can you provide a sample pbix or a detailed reproduction step? (Please be careful not to include sensitive information)

My test browser :MS Edge

vcaitlynmstf_1-1679295432252.png

vcaitlynmstf_0-1679295414496.png

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @rfonash_vntg ,

Please check the screenshot of my test below, I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. Is there a problem with my reproduction steps, can you provide a sample pbix or a detailed reproduction step? (Please be careful not to include sensitive information)

My test browser :MS Edge

vcaitlynmstf_1-1679295432252.png

vcaitlynmstf_0-1679295414496.png

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Joe
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am having a similar issue with all of my pie charts . I lose many of the labels  when I copy as image . 

rebeccakirk

I'm having a similar issue with a line chart. A sliver is being cut from the right hand side of the chart when I copy as image, so I'm losing the percentage sign on the last value in the chart.

I've previously exported this exact visual multiple times (approx 2 weeks ago) with no issues.

I've got a bar chart on the same page that is the same size (both are 1/2 a page) that is not having the same issue.

I've tried these, but the issue persists:

• Copying chart to a new page, republishing and then copying as image
  •  Changing browser - Chrome and Edge
  • Removing filters
  • Dereasing the width of the chart and republishing before copying again
JeremySuttie

Same issue as above - Right hand bar chart side is cropped and cut off.

juditm
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue, when copying a matrix table with "Copy as image with caption" or with "Copy Image" options, it chops off the bottom of the table in both cases.  About a month ago, I was able to use the Copy Image option and it copied the entire table, despite the fact that this is a long table.

I also tried some pie charts, and for those Copy Image chops off the side of it.

bdehning
Post Prodigy

bdehning_0-1690567286240.png

I too am having issues with some visuals when you try to Copy as Image with Captions or without.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing a similar issue issue in a clustered column chart. Legend in "Top Right" position is being cropped and x-axis Title is being cropped (in half) when using the "Copy as image" function.

I have tried adjusting the aspect ratio to 16:9 and have increased the padding on all axes to the maximum 20 px.

The only things that have worked to give me a professional looking figure is to change the legend to "Top Centre" or "Top Right Stacked" and I have had to leave the x-axis Title in place (toggled "ON") but the text is blank so that there is enough padding to leave the x-axis labels intact, if I remove the x-axis title entirely then the x-axis labels are cropped.

This is not an ideal solution as the chart has no x-axis title and it is frustrating as this chart had been copying and exporting without issue for months.

I hope Microsoft will push out a solution to this. Thanks.

Orangeflame
Employee

I am running into an issue with this as well but slightly different from all the mentions above. The image is capturing but only half of the control comes through in the image. The screen shot I included shows the populated upper half of the capture and the bottom half is just blank but their is data in the actual report. I did some testing and the smaller the chart or table the better chance I have of it being successful and copying the control successfully.  Are there any known limitations in how much this image capture can do?

PowerBI Copy image issue.png

Zz_0203_Oo

I'm experiencing a similar issue.

When I use the "copy as image with caption" function for visuals, the bottom portion is occasionally truncated. It seems to occur randomly; some visuals are copied perfectly while others are cut off.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

seantori

@v-xiaoyan-msft Since you posted that you couldn't reproduce the issue, many many users have said they're having the same problem. I am also having the same problem. I build Power BI reports profesionally and my end users say they use the "copy as image" button and the bottoms of all their reports are being cut off. No update hs been made on this since March of earlier this year - is this still being investigated or do we need to open some kind of new ticket?