Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Calculated columns on Shared Datasets not pushed anymore after Power BI Desktop March update

Good morning,

After Power BI Desktop March update, we are experiencing error message "Column [X] cannot be pushed to the remote data source and cannot be used in this scenario". When the report is opened on Februari 2023 Desktop, it works, in March 2023 desktop it gives an error.

The calculated column contains the DAX function "today()". A calculated column like 'New Calculated column = 1' works.
But with DAX Fcuntion Today() not.

Can this be researched?

Kind regards,

Lohic Beneyzet

Hi all,

We have reported this issue and submitted it to the product team.
They have been aware of the issue and the engineers will do their best to resolve it. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient. 

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
kayindarbey
Regular Visitor

I am having this same issue - hopefully it can be fixed some way

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @lbeneyzet ,

Please provide the version information of the two versions of Power BI Desktop you tested.
I will briefly describe the reproduction steps, please help me to check if this is wrong.
1. Publish a report with calculated columns and share its dataset.
2. Try to connect to this dataset in Power BI Desktop.

Best regards.

lbeneyzet
Frequent Visitor

Good morning,

We have been tested with 

- Version: 2.114.664.0 64-bit (February 2023)

- Version: 2.115.663.0 64-bit (March 2023)

The reproduction steps:
1. Publish a report with its dataset.

2. Connect to this dataset in Power BI Desktop and create the calculated columns Today = Today()

We then get the error "Column "Today" cannot be pushed to the remote data source and cannot be used in this scenario".

I hope this is clear.

Kind regards,
Lohic Beneyzet

stanxl
Advocate I

I have the same issue. I have some calculated columns with RELATED() columns which I guess are the source of the issue ("guess") with the March 2023 version of PBI desktop. In the February 2023 version it worked fine in both PBI desktop and online service. It is a strong blocking point for my team.

fifteenfeetoff
Regular Visitor

Same here.  I have narrowed down my error to the use of the FIXED and FORMAT functions in calculated columns on the PBI Scorecard/metrics Direct Query dataset. This was not an issue when using the February 2023 version.  I am currently on March 2023 version (2.115.663.0 64-bit).

ThinkpadThink

Hi, I'm also facing the same issue. Earlier calculated column is being viewed and used in visual from shared dataset but now it's not allowing to do so. Provide a solution on the same.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi all,

We have reported this issue and submitted it to the product team.
They have been aware of the issue and the engineers will do their best to resolve it. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient. 

Best regards.

steveplatz2
Frequent Visitor

I am also running into this issue. Previously published reports to pbi.com are still working as expected, but opening the same pbix in the March 2023 PBI release results in errors. Further, publishing the report using the March 2023 release of PBI Desktop to PBI Service publishes the error as well. 

Here is one column that's throwing error:

Month_Ago = DATEDIFF(dimCalendar[Calendar_Date], TODAY(), MONTH)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everybody  same problem we discover with NOW() in a calculated column with Direct Query on a PBI dataset  March Version  2.115.842.0 64-bit (mars 2023)

while the February version is ok .

Nustya
Regular Visitor

Have the same issue with REPLACE(). Version 2.115.842.0 64-bit. Worked fine before the March update.