Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bing choropleth map error - Power BI

Greetings guys!

I really wish you could help me...

When indicating the data of the cities of Pernambuco state of Brazil, for the choropleth map in the desktop power bi report server, there is a city that does not appear delimited in the Bing map in any way, city named "Nazaré da Mata".

Location data is the county name, latitude, and longitude, both classified as the corresponding data type.

ERROR - MAP BING.pngERROR - Nazaré da Mata.png

In the images it is possible to see that the entire map is filled in, only that city is left unfilled and without data.

@v-xiaoyan-msft 

I saw that you answered a similar question this year from another user, but he didn't send you the necessary files, so the question was not resolved.

Attached files without sensitive data for analysis.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QvAgNfNB7S8x5M2ajmsSKiuNioCuGww9/view?usp=share_link

Hi @Anonymous ,

Three options here:
1. Try setting just the lat/long for this particular city to null. This sounds strange but would be my first suggestion, it may trigger the geocode portion to run just for this city. I don't know if it will work but please try it out.

2. If that doesn't work, the customer can try not using lat/long at all. This will fix this particular city but may have other drawbacks:

• Slightly worse performance because we have to geocode for all cities
  • Some cities might not work initially if the geocoding fails, in which case more data cleaning will need to be done to get those cities geocoded properly
  • The user may want explicit lat/long for other reasons, such as tooltips

3. If #1 doesn't work and the customer doesn't find #2 acceptable, I can go to Bing and ask them to support querying this entity as a city. This process often takes a really long time though, which is why we should try #1 first.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have submitted your issue to ICM , the ID is 345961742. I'll be back with an update if there's any progress .

Best regards,

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous ,

Three options here:
1. Try setting just the lat/long for this particular city to null. This sounds strange but would be my first suggestion, it may trigger the geocode portion to run just for this city. I don't know if it will work but please try it out.

2. If that doesn't work, the customer can try not using lat/long at all. This will fix this particular city but may have other drawbacks:

• Slightly worse performance because we have to geocode for all cities
  • Some cities might not work initially if the geocoding fails, in which case more data cleaning will need to be done to get those cities geocoded properly
  • The user may want explicit lat/long for other reasons, such as tooltips

3. If #1 doesn't work and the customer doesn't find #2 acceptable, I can go to Bing and ask them to support querying this entity as a city. This process often takes a really long time though, which is why we should try #1 first.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft ,

I had already tried the indicated options, and I also tried thousands of other ways to try to fix this error, but without success.

Option 1> Lat Long null

Option 1.png

Option 1 null cont.>>

Option 1 - lat long null.png

Option1 > Result:

Option 1 - result.png

And

Option 2>> Without lat/long, only city

Option 2- result without city.png

Without data in the map for this City:

Option 2 - geocode error.png

This bug didn't just happen to me. Another user also reported on this forum:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Erro-no-Mapa-Coropl%C3%A9tico-para-munic%C3%ADpios-do-estado...

I believe it's something related to the Bing map database, so even if it takes a while, I think it's more appropriate to show them the error so they can fix it.

Because by doing this correction for the reported city, all new users who try to build this map will already have their correct database, without problems.

Thanks for understanding and help.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have submitted your needs.

Best regards,