Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: VNET Gateway Issue

Standard PowerBI Gateway has no issues refreshing a dataset but when using the VNET Gateway we recieve this error:

Microsoft SQL: The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000).\r\nThe size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000)

Hi all,

The deployment should be all completed now.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
Still_Lukad
Regular Visitor

My saracasm wasn't directed at you, @gertc 

I know you're not working at MS support 😉

Thanks for the hint, yet, as an end user here, I wouldn't even be able to tell if the current problem (varchar conversion) is related to the one listed on the support page.

Thus I'd expected to at least see a semi official update by support staff here in the thread, especially since they've been active here.

Mixednuts
Helper II

For us, the problem was resolved as of approximately midday Sunday 15-May (UTC+8) in our region (Australia East) and our Power BI reports began working/refreshing again.

alexdc12
Regular Visitor

Looks like i have the same issue. Any ideas on when this will be fixed properly? 

• Data source errorDataSource.Error: <ccon>Microsoft SQL: The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000).. DataSourceKind = SQL. DataSourcePath = xx.sql.azuresynapse.net;STCGold_ss. Message = The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000).. ErrorCode = -2146232060. Number = 131. Class = 16. </ccon>. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: StatusSupplier.
  • Cluster URIWABI-NORTH-EUROPE-G-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
  • Activity ID0b04d6ad-fc06-4096-8f4a-59a81dcc145e
  • Request ID644bd9be-a766-d602-94f0-2526a92f962f
  • Time2023-05-15 17:16:30Z

When i refresh manually via PBI desktop the error does not occur, its only on the scheduled refresh on the PBI service this happens, View is a Serverless SQL view in Azure Synapse

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Deployment got some issue in north/west Europe, and PBIS is scheduled to be deployed latest on 18th.

Best regards,

oscarru
Regular Visitor

My datasets successfully updated today 2023-05-16 07:00 am EEST time, 8 days after unsuccessfull tries.

pvm
Regular Visitor

Our processes ran successfully last night. The issue seems to be resolved (Power BI service refresh on Azure Synapse Serverless, Europe region)

RHennings
Regular Visitor

Our affected datasets (West Europe) updated successfully today.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi all,

The deployment should be all completed now.

Best regards,

joanteixi

Hi @v-yanjiang-msft sorry to comment on this again, but we've exactly same problem processing data in Azure Analysis Services reading from synapse serverless (delta tables). Exactly same error. 

Do you know if there're any fix for the azure analysis services environment?

Thanks.