Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: VNET Gateway Issue

Standard PowerBI Gateway has no issues refreshing a dataset but when using the VNET Gateway we recieve this error:

Microsoft SQL: The size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000).\r\nThe size (8000) given to the convert specification 'nvarchar' exceeds the maximum allowed for any data type (4000)

Hi all,

The deployment should be all completed now.

Best regards,

Community Support Team_yanjiang

Comments
GertJano

We are experiencing the exact same issue.. not able to refresh PBI in the service based on varchar8000 (inferred datatypes) from synapse serverless.

chavanr
Resolver I

@Still_Lukad Yes, agree..it was fixed in April 23 & happened again..we have addresed this to the MS support team who is in touch with the product team because this has impacted our month-end reporting.

Cannot afford this kind of bugs & also it takes almost 1 week to fix the issue, very high downtime.

PowerAndy
Regular Visitor

we found a fix for this, very strange 😔

Looking in Native Query for nvarchar(max) and try to remove change type to text step in transforming.

Also Change Number to text or combine two strings makes nvarchar(max) in native query

image-20230510-082221.png

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi all,

The issue was reactive internally, a fix is on the way. I will update here is there's any progress.

Best regards,

Community Support Team

gertc
Regular Visitor

Please indicate time line for the fix. We also see this issue for a couple of dataflows since May 7.  
Known workarounds would be appreciated as well. 

Is this bug the same as posted on PBI support page?:

gertc_0-1683814859098.png

chavanr
Resolver I

thanks @v-yanjiang-msft 

Still_Lukad
Regular Visitor

Issue still not fixed

gertc
Regular Visitor

latest status that also got confirmed by MS support:
"Engineers are actively working on a fix and they expect it to be deployed by end of day Monday (5/15)." 

Still_Lukad
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the information, @gertc !!!

/s

Awesome work by the official support that is active in this thread and keeping us up to date

/s

gertc
Regular Visitor

@Still_Lukad  I'm not MS support. Just opened a ticket with MS support and forwarding info.
For this specific high profile issue you can also follow the updates on PBI support page.
Support | Microsoft Power BI

gertc_0-1684139563928.png