Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BUG::NETWORK::IDBConnection::partial pre-login handshake failure

ISSUE:

A report created with PBI Desktop that uses a Fabric lakehouse as its datasource in DirectQuery mode has experienced the following error when navigating from one page to the one you see in the screenshot.  In other words, when you navigate to a page for the first time, as here was the case, PBI Desktop needs to load the data from the lakehouse.  Some data comes through as some visuals populate, but not others. All data for all the visuals come from the same lakehouse table.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 160838.jpg

The error message is:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 160811.jpg

The M code for the model table is as follows:

let
    Source = Sql.Database("45asfd5s4f6.datawarehouse.fabric.microsoft.com", "LH_RWS"),
    dbo_FACT_RWS_M15 = Source{[Schema="dbo",Item="FACT_RWS_15M"]}[Data]
in
    dbo_FACT_RWS_M15

Then after dismissing the dialog, navigating away and back to the page, the error went away and the remaining viz loaded properly. 

Hi  @Element115 

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Element115 

What version of Desktop are you using? Can you test with the December 2023 version? I need to confirm if this is a version issue or a data source issue. 

Best Regards,

Element115
Power Participant

@v-yetao1-msft 

Version: 2.126.1261.0 64-bit (February 2024)

TBH I have so little time left to play around doing QA for Microsoft... so let me ask you for some help here:  can I install both versions on the same machine?  Or do I have to perform some uninstall/reinstall of PBI via the MS Store?  And if so, am I running the risk of messing anything up on my local machine, thus leading to even more downtime, which is what I am trying to avoid?

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @Element115 

Save your report first . Then uninstall PBI Desktop in Control Panel . You can't install two versions on the same machine , unless you have a virtual machine . You can download the previous version in the following link .

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive 

Best Regards,

Element115
Power Participant

@v-yetao1-msft  If you are trying to determine whether this is a reproducible issue with a previous version of PBID, here is what I can tell you:  it's not even reproducible with the current Feb vs as it didn't reoccur a second time yet.  Also, the error msg never occurred before with the version preceding the Feb vs, ie the Dec vs.  Therefore reinstalling the previous vs will prove nothing because how long would we have to wait until the issue reoccurs?  It's anybody's guess. 

Therefore, before I bother to uninstall/reinstall/uninstall and reinstall again, perhaps MS should consider my above statements first.

Element115
Power Participant

@v-yetao1-msft Quick question for you:  Does this error occur usually if, for some reason, the on-prem DB is briefly not available on the LAN, then suddenly becomes available?  Could this explain why on open, the first vizs the engine tried to populate couldn't be, but when PBID sent the requests over the wire for the refresh of the remaining vizs and the DB became available again, the data came in as Import, and the viz displayed properly?

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi  @Element115 

What does it mean for a local database to be briefly unavailable on a LAN and then suddenly available? Isn't your data source a Fabric lakehouse? 

Best Regards,

Element115
Power Participant

@v-yetao1-msft ah yes, my bad.  The datasource is a LH.  I was thinking about how the DF extracts the data from the on-prem DB before loading it into the LH, and on our internal LAN, sometimes we got gremlins which cause a TCP/IP error when trying to connect directly to the DB (but upon an immediate retry, the connection always succeeds. Starting to wonder if some of the issues connecting a DF to an onprem SQL Server could be due to the SQL Server being an old version.)

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @Element115 

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,