Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

An error occurred while rendering the report

Hi, 

I get an error message once trying to open my report. Unexpected Error. An error occurred while rendering the report. 

Followed steps below, but it didnt help. Please advise. 

1) Close all instances of Power BI Desktop

2) Open file explorer and navigate to the folder <system drive>:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\CEF\cache

• replace <system drive> with your operating system hard disk partition
  • replace <user> with your user profile name, typically the alias you login to Windows with

3) Delete all contents of this folder

4) Restart Power BI Desktop

Thank you,

Laura

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @lauravd,

1. Which kind of desktop version do you run? Please update to the latest version then try again.

2. When you try to open other reports, does the same issue occur?

3. Please open the same report in desktop on another machine.

4. Please open the Power BI desktop firstly, then File->Open to open the report to see if the same issue occurs.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

lauravd
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am using 32bit Desktop version. Had the most recent (December) which I downloaded on Friday and the this issue started. Other reports are working, and this one was working as well as I was running it successfully for the las two months. I tried to open it as per your suggestion File-Open, but still the same. Finally I downloaded October version of PBI desktop (November version was playing funny as well) and it works. Please advise.

thank you

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @lauravd,

As you can open the report in Power BI desktop October version, please save the report from October version then open in the latest desktop to see if it works. 

Did you import the data model to the report? If it's not live connection or DirectQuery, would you please share the pbix file with us? You can upload it to your OneDrive and sent the link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

antonyp
Regular Visitor

Has this issue been resolved yet? I am facing the exact same problem

lauravd
Frequent Visitor

Nope, I am still experiencing this issue with December version of Power BI.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @lauravd,

Would you please review my previous post? As the issue happens to one specific report, if it's not DirectQuery or Live connection, would you please share pbix file with us? 

@antonyp Did the issue happen to one report or all reports on your side? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

lauravd
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

It is happenning with 1 report and I am using live connection.

Thank you.

antonyp
Regular Visitor

I noticed that removing a few columns from the table got it to render properly with the latest power bi desktop. In my case, the table has quite a few columns, but this was working fine with the previous version of the dektop. Please check if the new Power BI desktop has any issue with tables with many columns

lauravd
Frequent Visitor

My table contains only columns that I use in my report, so can't get rid of any of them.