Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

"Query Folding" error after Desktop update

Hello.  We are having an issue with new versions of Power BI desktop.  We are using direct query to connect to our data.  Reports that have been working fine for several months are now showing the "query folding" error when we try to run them.  This happens when we updated to the June 2024 release of desktop.

This is a pretty big bug as it breaks all our reports.  We were able to roll back to the May version, but I'm worried this will continue to  be broken in subsequent releases.  

Hi @rsizer 

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it. 

The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @rsizer 

Desktop was updated on the 17th and the latest version number is currently 2.130.930.0, you can re-verify that the problem still exists after updating the version.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,

tescnovonesis
Regular Visitor

We have the same problem.

Our issue seem to related to Snowflake connection. If we have a table with boolean and filter a table/visual after True/False, then the visual fail.

Also, if a table with Integer is imported, it will be imported as numeric. If this is then converted to Whole Number in the Semantic Model, then visual breaks.

If the model is changed to Import or Dual, it works.

Similar tests is SAP HANA or SQL server did not show same problem.

We tried updating Snowflake ODBC driver to newest, but did not work.

So, it seems DirectQuery folding back to snowflake is broken.

rsizer
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft   I just downloaded the latest version you referenced.  The error is still ocurring.  

rsizer_0-1718730425339.pngrsizer_1-1718730477982.png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

HI @rsizer 

What is the data source you are using? Have you checked some of the commands inside Power Query and there are errors?

Best Regards,

rsizer
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft 

We are connecting to Snowflake.  The Power Query errors are the same as the visual level errors, "cannot fold query".

The issue here is that these queries ALL worked previously and only broke with the latest June release.  NOTHING changed in our file or in the Power Queries.  This is a regression.  

Like I mentioend in my original post, when we reverted back to the May version of desktop, the errors went away and our reports all function as expected.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @rsizer 

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it. 

The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient!

Best Regards,