Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

line and stacked column chart - inconsistent tooltips

The built-in line and stacked column chart shows inconsistent tooltips. The column series tooltip is missing the values from the line series (Line y-axis field(s)). The line series tooltip only shows the X-axis Line y-axis field(s), ignoring fields loaded into the Tooltip well. The tooltips should consistently show all the fields from the X-axis, both y-axis and the tooltips.

I found this forum post where Microsoft suggests this behaviour is "expected". It might be by Microsoft, the rest of the planet would likely differ. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Tooltips-doesn-t-work-in-line-values-in-line-and-stacked-co...

Actually it is by design in Power BI Desktop as far as I know.

In line and stacked column chart, each column and line point is considered as a single part of the X-axis for Y-axis. The tooltip only shows the corresponding part value so you will see that when you put the mouse on the column, it shows the column value, the line value is not missing, instead, you need to put the mouse on the line point to show the value.

As a compasrion, you can enable the line marker for the visual to see the line point better.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Actually it is by design in Power BI Desktop as far as I know.

In line and stacked column chart, each column and line point is considered as a single part of the X-axis for Y-axis. The tooltip only shows the corresponding part value so you will see that when you put the mouse on the column, it shows the column value, the line value is not missing, instead, you need to put the mouse on the line point to show the value.

As a compasrion, you can enable the line marker for the visual to see the line point better.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Again you are looking at it from the perspective of how the product was built, not the common-sense perspective of the audience. It has been raised with me several times, by different people independently, different projects and industries. The current implementation is confusing and inconsistent, to everyone outside the Power BI product team.