Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Unable to open Power BI Desktop "Unable to download KoForm.htm from pbi.microsoft.com"

Hi Guys,

I have recently been experiencing the below issue when I attempt to open Power BI Desktop.

warden75_0-1691737746910.png

When I click OK Power BI Desktop doesn't respond to anything.  I have to force close the application.

Upon going into Task Manager there are an excessive amount of Microsoft Edge WebView2 sub tasks underneath Power BI (as below).

warden75_1-1691737895799.png

Event Viewer gives the following Kernel Event error when opening.

warden75_2-1691738019475.png

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, no change.  Tried both the x64 and x86 versions, exactly the same behaviour.

Have also uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Edge Webview2 without success.

I am using the latest version - 2.119.986.0 however I have also tried the June version without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot use the Desktop at the moment, only the web version.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi  @warden75 
This problem is something you've only encountered recently, so that means you were able to use PBI Desktp normally before, right? And have you made any changes to your system or deleted any files in the meantime?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi  @warden75 
This problem is something you've only encountered recently, so that means you were able to use PBI Desktp normally before, right? And have you made any changes to your system or deleted any files in the meantime?

Best Regards,

warden75
Regular Visitor

Hi Ailsa,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, this problem only occured a few days ago.  And I was able to use PBI Desktop normally for months earlier without problems.

Nothing abnormal has happened, no changes to my system or deleted files.  It is a corporate laptop, so I'm not able to make many changes to the system, however I have also logged this problem with our service desk as well to see if they can help at all, but no success so far.

The only thing I have done since the problem is uninstalled/re-installed Power BI, including the June version as well, 32/64 bit, but nothing has fixed the problem.

Interestingly, there was an issue with a piece of software called Netskope, which gave a similar error on authentication (the "Unable to download" message), but a re-install of that software fixed that problem.  But these two issues occured at the same time.

Thanks,

Matt.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @warden75 

Where did you download the PBI Desktop installer from? You can download the latest installer from Download center and install it after uninstalling it completely from Control Panel. 32/64 bit depends on your Windows system and needs to be consistent with your Windows.

Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,