Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Trying to update Power BI App with the new experience

Hello,

Since changing my apps to the new app experience that came out on August 24th, 2022 I'm unable to update my apps. Just updating the data in existing reports work, however when I try to add a new report or user to the app, the updated fails on both premium and non-premium workspaces.

Here's the error message I receive:

Activity ID: 3c436903-31cc-4deb-acb6-129ce3edaaa0
Request ID: 86792392-0c11-b79d-66e0-0282c9f6d375
Correlation ID: 6e7df13f-9f69-f61a-e3ea-4ca37bbf32a6
Time: Wed Aug 31 2022 14:27:37 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Service version: 13.0.18945.45
Client version: 2208.4.12891-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-north-central-j-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me.

Thanks,

Morganne

Currently it have been considered as a known issue which would be fixed in early of September, so please stay tuned.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
akejoh
Regular Visitor

Hi @jlopezmolinero.,

Yep, I've also found that it now is in the app Content section you enable/disable reports from being part of the app, it is rather confusing that the "Include in app" toggle is greyed out on the workspace, it would be better with an indicator of some sort to show if the report is included in the app or not instead of just greying out the toggle.

According to Microsoft the known issue in a specific case we have reported is that we have more than 100 users in the access list of the app in question, currently there are an limitation to 100 users as mentioned in the Considerations and limitations section in the new app experience information.
Publish an app in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

• You can have at most 100 users or groups in the access list for the app. However, you can give more than 100 users access to the app. To do so, use one or more user groups that contain all the desired users.

Also according to Microsoft they are working on extending the number of users i the access list for an app to 1000 users, release is estimated to mid September.

sgilbert
Regular Visitor

Hi @akejoh ,

Thank you as that explains why it works on our smaller apps (< 100 users) but not our bigger ones (> 200 users).  Will look at changing to user groups until the number can be increased.

akejoh
Regular Visitor

Hi @sgilbert 

First I want to point out that I'm an user/customer with this error, I'm just sharing what I found out and what I've been informed by Microsoft in the service request I've created.

We found that it is possible to add content to an app with +100 users in the access list and publish the app successfully, which seems rather strange.

We also found that when we try to hide content or if we try to add users then the app cannot be published, error shown is "Failed to publish app".

SRP
Frequent Visitor

There is no problem with 100+ users if you hide the reports 

jlopezmolinero
Regular Visitor

Hi all, 

Effectively the problem is due to the number of the users access list in the audience, if you want to add new reports and not to hide them, you must have less than 100 users, I had 113 and I could not actualize it, and when I have erased 14 then it works !!

Perhaps it will also work if you make different audiences with less than 100 users.

It's a workaround till Microsoft grow the access list limit till 1000. 

akejoh
Regular Visitor

Hi all,

It seems that the issue somewhat differ, our user with +100 users in the access list can add and remove content and publish the app without errors but it the user tries to hide content or add users the update fail when the app is published.

jlopezmolinero
Regular Visitor

Perhaps @akejoh , the issue applies only for updates of existing apps, that it was my case.

SRP
Frequent Visitor

It's exactly the problem.

Add an unhidden report means a new publish, which we can't at the moment

akejoh
Regular Visitor

@SRP 

Surely adding and/or removing content also should be considered as an update of an existing app ?.
Our user can add/remove content to an existing app and publish the app without any issues, this is what I find odd.

SRP
Frequent Visitor

Ok, it's seems you don't have the same problem as us.

We can update data without any problem

We can hide an hidden slide/report  to our app

But we can't unhide the new slide/report to our app because it's a new content we can't publish, because we have more than 100 users/groups