Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Skip Test Connection option is missing

The option "Skip Test Connection" in data set settings is missing . I used before, but today when i try to use a new API source, i can't find the option to skip test connection. And as it is a two step authentication API, i can't update the report through the platform.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@RZXGAMER ,

If your data source is on-premises data source, please update gateway to the latest version. Please see announcement below:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/skip-test-connection-for-on-premises-and-cloud-data-sources...

However, it seems like that some cloud source are not supported currently. The workaround is not to use the root url, you can use web.content to contain your credentials like access token.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

bhen

Hi Jimmy Tao,

could you be a bit more specific about the web sources? I have used the "Skip Connection" for all of my reports that use JWT token auth and this is a big problem for me now.

This is how I connect in the PBIX:

let contracts = let GetJson = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://source.com/api/login", [Headers=[Accept="application/json", #"Content-Type"="application/x-www-form-urlencoded;charset=UTF-8"], Content=Text.ToBinary("email=user@serviceuser.com&password=aPassword&grant_type=password")])), data = GetJson[data], access_token1 = data[access_token], source = Web.Contents("https://source.com/api/entity", [Headers=[Authorization="Bearer"&access_token1, ContentType="application/json"]]),

It worked fine before yesterday, now I cannot get a new report to work. Thanks for any tip.

danskheart

@v-yuta-msft 

Can you elaborate on what you mean?  We also have reports that rely on the "Skip Test Connection" setting.  They currently still work (because it looks like the option is still enabled on the back end) but we are unable to create new, or modify existing, reports.  I have tried what you suggested and it doesn't seem to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed.  This is a breaking change for us

TMG-Marcel
Regular Visitor
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMG-Marcel You're a hero, Thanks for sharing

jacknoble
Frequent Visitor

@TMG-Marcel I tried this and the "skiptestconnection" part stayed on the end of my URL while I was navigating the site, but it still tried to test my connection when I added credentials to the datasource. Is there anything else that needs to be done for this to work? 

TMG-Marcel
Regular Visitor

@jacknoble Do you see the checkbox option to Skip Connection Test?

It should look something like this in your data source credentials setup:

TMG-Marcel_0-1597424233423.png

From what I see, the URL query parameter skipconnectiontest is no longer required. All the parameter did was re-enabled the Skip test connection checkbox.

jacknoble
Frequent Visitor

@TMG-Marcel thanks for getting back to me so quickly. My issue turned out to be due to me installing the wrong type of gateway. I corrected that and I can now see the "skip test connection" box when configuring access to a data source again. Thanks!

Marco74
Regular Visitor

We have the same issue but despite being up-to-date with both our PowerBI and gateway version we do not have the 'skip test connection' checkbox under datasource settings.

Is there another way to solve this problem?

Marco74_0-1620625905511.png