Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Scheduled refresh is not working but no issues with manual refresh

I have an odd one I have not seen before. I have a data model that has a scheduled refresh active, and Power BI notates when the next scheduled service will run but it never does. There are no issues manually refreshing. Works every time. I can't seem to find any previous issues on this either. Any help is appreciated.

Hi @wegemmell ,

Please provide more information like error message, do you have this issue below, if yes, it is a known issue and engineers are doing their best to fix it.

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Invalid operation. The connection is closed.'

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wegemmell I have just raised a similar issue, mine is in a dataflow. Is your next refresh schedule showing as a time in the past?

This is mine taken today (31st Jan) at 13.45 but showing as next refresh due on 29th Jan

Twiggem_0-1675173324687.png

wegemmell
Helper III

Exactly what is happening! For example, it will show the next refresh time but that time comes and goes and just sits there until I manually refresh, then it will flip to the next scheduled refresh time. Then that time comes and goes, and the viscious cycle continues. Going on for 2 days now.

Example: I manually refreshed the below at 6A this morning (1/31). The 5P 1/30 refresh never ran.

wegemmell_0-1675173688512.png

wegemmell
Helper III

I have a couple datasets on the same refresh schedule. As a shot in the dark, I am adjusting one or two to see if the like-schedules are somehow causing the issue.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Hey, I think you're also suffering from this issue:

Power BI scheduled refresh stopped refreshing with... - Page 3 - Microsoft Power BI Community

Our experience so far is that it fixes itself after a week. We do not know why it happens. MS was unhelpful for me, because they can't debug a refresh that never happened.

We need to hope someone from a "too big to fail" customer (Coca Cola, Disney or something) gets the issue too, then maybe the dev team will pick it up.

wegemmell
Helper III

Thank you for that share. That is the issue I am experiencing. Okay, I will hope it corrects itself. It seems my only other option would be to re-publish the dataset and lineage reports. Thank you.

asubr
Frequent Visitor

i republished the dataset and lineage reports and still have this error in power bi service refresh.

wegemmell
Helper III

Appreciate that feedback, @asubr. That saves me some time doing all that work for nothing. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @wegemmell ,

Please provide more information like error message, do you have this issue below, if yes, it is a known issue and engineers are doing their best to fix it.

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Invalid operation. The connection is closed.'

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

wegemmell
Helper III

Hi, @v-xiaoyan-msft 

There are no error messages received. It simply skips right over the scheduled refresh time. The old refresh time will remain as the "next scheduled refresh" until I manually refresh the model, which there are no issues with. After the manual refresh is complete, the "next scheduled refresh" will change to the next refresh date/time that is scheduled. It then comes and goes. Hope this information helps.

As of this morning, it does look like the scheduled refreshes are running again. I am not sure if that is due to something the engineers have done, or if it is related to me changing the refresh times of the model, which I did last night in hopes it would help.

Thank you,

Wm