Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Scatter Chart - Bubble Size

I am building a Scatter Chart, with value ($) as the bubble size variable. This functionality is fundamentally broken, as there is no way to adjust the minimum/maximum bubble size. 

For example, as a test dataset, I plotted the following values as sizes

$1

$5,000,000

$100,000,000

with these bubble sizes, there is sufficient difference between the bubble size of the larger two values, BUT the $1 and $5M values have virtually the same bubble size. This is therefore a misrepresentation of what is actually going on. 

I consider this an issue and not a new functionality, as I think this makes the existing functionality (size) unusable as it is. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @marthasch

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.71.5523.941 64-bit (July 2019), the scatter chart bubbles size can be different based on the column putted in Size bucket. Please update your Power BI desktop to the same version as ours then test again. You can also test with our sample report to see if the same issue occurs on your side. 

q5.PNG

Best Regards

Qiuyun Yu

marthasch

Hi, 

Given that the left dot represents $1, and the next dot represents $5M, what I'm saying is that there's not sufficient difference between the sizes of those dots - ideally the $1 dot should be smaller, or there should be the ability to set sizes myself.

I don't consider this issue resolved.

torreyabl
Frequent Visitor

This is definitely a major issue with this visual. It makes it so that big variations aren't well represented. It is almost like there is a minimum size limit on the bubbles and everything below that is the same size.

Wimmerd

I agree. When I have data points between 300.000 and 600.000 they look almost the same. I would like the option to have more control over the scale (i.e. the 300.000 should be really small and the 600.000 should be really big).

MDuchs
Regular Visitor

Is there any solution on this?

It seems that there is a minimum size given for a bubble. All bubbles that are below this minimum have the same size, which does not make any sense to me.

Bubble sizes really should reflect the differences in values.