Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Random visual selection/activation stuck both in PBI Service and PBI Desktop

Hi all,

as the title already describes, multiple users in our company (including myself) are experiencing that visuals are stuck in "active mode" (as in, when you click a visual it enables the "Filters on this visual" section in the filterpane and shows all icons of that visual). We started noticing this behavior as of this week both in PBI Desktop (and in Service) in mutiple reports that never displayed such behavior before.

The behavior is slightly annoying in that one specific visual (seems random which one) on each page retains it's active state, no matter where you click to deselect this. Clicking a different visual will shift the active selection to that new visual, but clicking somewhere on the side outside of all visuals, defaults the selection back to that specific visual. It is therefore never possible to deselect all visuals.

Among those reports are reports that have changed and reports that have not changed. Both types display this behavior. It would be nice to have this fixed.

Cheers,

Niels

Hi  @C4YNelis 

I am so glad to hear that the issue has been fixed . I will change the status to "Delilvered" .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @C4YNelis 

You mentioned that when you click a visual it enables the "Filters on this visual" section in the filterpane and shows all icons of that visual , can you explain it in detail ? Can you provide the relevant screenshot ? Or can you provide your sample for us to test ?

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

I've captured it's behavior in a GIF. Hopefully this shows you better what is actually happening. I cannot share the file, it contains company sensitive information and is very elaborate.

However, like I mentioned before:

- it happens with many (all?) reports.

- it happens in both Desktop and in the service

- it happens for multiple users

What you see in the GIF is that:

1. while I have never selected anything, there is a random (random per opening the Report) visual activated. It gets the focus and shows up in the filterpane. Every page in every reports has a random visual that receives and won't release the focus.

2. clicking the background does not clear the focus like it should.

3. selecting a different visual, temporarily adjusts the focus to that visual like it should.

4. clearing all focus by clicking the background, again puts the focus back on the first visual (with a very minimal pauze in between I noticed in the frames when capturing the GIF, however, that might be regular behaviour.

So in short, you cannot deselect all visuals anymore and the icons of one random visual will always be visible and in the way.

random visual remains selectedrandom visual remains selected

I hope this clearifies the issue.

Cheers

rbk1234
Frequent Visitor

I second this. All the reports present the same behavior. When selecting the background some random visual is selected.

We tried deleting that specific visual and creating from scratch but that ends in other visual being selected.

For us this is not present on desktop, only in the service. We found out on December maybe after we upgrade desktop with the last version.

C4YNelis
Advocate II

I agree, this was definitely introduced in the December 2023 update. I've never seen such behaviour before.

In Desktop this behaviour is sometimes present. In Service this happens much more often, yet not always.

dharland
Advocate IV

@rbk1234 have you been able to resolve this issue?

C4YNelis
Advocate II

unfortunately no. I've tried different things, but I don't have a way around it yet. I'll be happy to hear if anyone finds a workaround.

edit: misread previous comment.

rbk1234
Frequent Visitor

@dharland 

I have generated a ticket to Microsoft. I am waiting the response. By our side I don't think there is anything more we can do. Only voting the issue up so it has more notoriety.

rbk1234
Frequent Visitor

@C4YNelis @dharland 

For me the issue is resolved. Can both of you confirm?

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Hi @rbk1234 ,

for me nothing changed. It still gives me the same behavior (at least in the service, I didn't test PBI Desktop yet). Is there anything specific that you did to resolve this?

Cheers

rbk1234
Frequent Visitor

I only had this on the service. I sent a ticket here Power Platform admin center (microsoft.com)

If you are not an admin on your Microsoft center, I suggest giving a call to someone in your IT department and creating one. 

For my ticket I pointed this thread because you explained it really well. It took like an hour to explain again the funny interaction of the service, but it was worth it.