Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Git Clone Error Message: Unsupported Measure name has been found in data model schema.

With the new feature for version control, opening .pbir files on Desktop throws an error for the measures that have a trailing (extra character at the end) space in their names. Had to remove the trailing space to get rid of the error. 

Hi @MoeData 

Can you describe your problem in detail through screenshots or videos?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @MoeData 

Can you describe your problem in detail through screenshots or videos?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

MoeData
Advocate II

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

I made a repo and synced Power BI items I had in a workspace to that repo (through the new Git Integration feature in Power BI Services). Then I cloned it into local hard drive and then I tried to open it with Power BI Desktop but I got an error about naming of measure. I didnt take screenshot but the message was 

Unsupported Measure name "XXXX " has been found in data model schema.

Where XXXX was the name of my measure. I noticed there is a trailing space in the name of the measure and when I removed that in the model (in Tabular Editor), the error was gone and I could open the .pbir file on desktop.

Best, 
Moe

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy

This also happens if you have a column with a leading blank space in a table.

I tested using MSFT's provided sample data file and you can't open the pbip file after saving it because the SALES column has a leading white space in the column title.

It makes it so you can never get back into your report, the file is lost unless you have backups from before the column with the leading space existed.

wittwo_sagra
Advocate I

I agree, I also encountered this issue. Had to remove ending spaces from all of my measures in order to get it to work. Would it be possible to fix it?
I have around 80 reports and switching to git repo while removing all the spaces seems like a massive work, and that's a pain as this is a great functionality. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

This just happened to me as well, I was doing some developments in a report by opening the .pbip file in the local repo.

I saved it and today, I tried to open to continue my development ans I got the error "Unsupported Column name "xxxx " has been found in data model schema. Now I can't open the report and will have to do yesterdays work all over again... 

Is there a way to show a warning when creating a column that has a space at the end? 

edit:

The solution I found was my model.bim file in the repo inside the Dataset folder, find all the instances of this column name and delete de space. After doing this, I could open the .pbip again 

je_
Employee
Employee

FYI I just encountered this issue due to a column name with a trailing space. Error log below. Thanks community for this thread--saved me a ton of time!

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-09-20T20:44:52.8650762Z

Local Time:
2023-09-20T13:44:52.8650762-07:00

Session ID:
691dae6b-05d3-4fc4-ac1f-fedcaa341202

Release:
September 2023

Product Version:
2.121.762.0 (23.09) (x64)

Error Message:
Unsupported Column name "Tooltip Mapping table.Usage Metric Details " has been found in data model schema.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureValidObjectName(INamedMetadataObject obj)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.ValidateObjectNames(Report report)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureSupportedModelStructure(Report report, Boolean blockOnInvalidNames)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.<Prepare>d__9.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromProject>d__15.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromPbip>d__13.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadPbiFile>d__10.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<ExecuteAndHandleFileOpenErrors>d__35.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.<<OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent>b__1>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass13_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPowerBIFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, ICurrentFileManager currentFileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, CommandLine commandLine, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager, IPowerBITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<RunApplication>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Unsupported Column name <ccon>"Tooltip Mapping table.Usage Metric Details "</ccon> has been found in data model schema.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleKnownExceptions(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.RunApplication(String[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.22621.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 533320]

Peak Virtual Memory:
70.1 GB

Private Memory:
464 MB

Peak Working Set:
909 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
9a7f5e04-76ab-4b0e-8dd2-f417dbe7eab7

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
150%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue:

Removing the trailing in the model.bim file solved the issue.

Error log:

Same issue:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-10-09T11:19:31.1818999Z

Local Time:
2023-10-09T13:19:31.1818999+02:00

Session ID:
2766fd43-09d2-48b8-b13e-42883f2e3792

Release:
September 2023

Product Version:
2.121.942.0 (23.09) (x64)

Error Message:
Unsupported QueryGroup name "Fact Stability " has been found in data model schema.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureValidObjectName(INamedMetadataObject obj)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.ValidateObjectNames(Report report)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureSupportedModelStructure(Report report, Boolean blockOnInvalidNames)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.<Prepare>d__9.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromProject>d__15.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromPbip>d__13.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadPbiFile>d__10.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<ExecuteAndHandleFileOpenErrors>d__35.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.<<OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent>b__1>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass13_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPowerBIFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, ICurrentFileManager currentFileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, CommandLine commandLine, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager, IPowerBITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

Stack Trace Message:
Unsupported QueryGroup name <ccon>"Fact Stability "</ccon> has been found in data model schema.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleKnownExceptions(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19045.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 533325]

Peak Virtual Memory:
70 GB

Private Memory:
417 MB

Peak Working Set:
684 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
bd22f21f-1bef-4252-970e-e3c0c9130e76

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
250%

Supported Services:
Power BI

David_Liao
Regular Visitor

It looks like there ere extra limitations here and there. 

I got the similar error here, and I can not get back to the work I have done. Fortunately, I have the original pbix file, but I have to re-do all the steps from the start.

David_Liao_0-1697762477218.png

wtdpon
Helper I

I need help with this. I was getting the error because of a traling space in a column's name and now that's fixed but I am having some weird behaviour:

- Remote repository: if I download the .Dataset and .Report folder anywhere, it works

- Local repository: Fails

- If I copy the downloaded folders into the local repository they fail

- If I copy the local repo folders anywhere else they work.

The error doesn't say anything about a column now, but rather:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:
System.NullReferenceException
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.GetProcessExitMessage(Process process)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.AcquireServerDynamicPortInfo()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.EnsureServiceIsReady()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.Start()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<StartProcess>d__30.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

Stack Trace Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunCallback(ContextCallback callback, Object state, Task& currentTask)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Finish(Boolean bUserDelegateExecuted)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.TrySetException(Object exceptionObject)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.SetException(Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<StartProcess>d__30.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.MoveNextRunner.Run()
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Windows.DialogWindowBase.ShowModal(IWindowHandle windowHandle)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WebDialogs.WebDialog.<>n__0(IWindowHandle owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.ExpectedErrorDialog.Show(IWindowHandle owner, ILegacyUIHost uiHost, LocalizedString title, FeedbackActionInfo info, Boolean displayOnTop, String detailsUrl)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.Ux.WindowService.ShowExpectedErrorDialog(LocalizedString title, FeedbackErrorInfo errorInfo)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.123.742.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess","Error":"System.NullReferenceException","MethodDef":"GetProcessExitMessage","ErrorOffset":"0","ErrorCode":""}

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True

and also:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-11-29T14:08:38.5572103Z

Local Time:
2023-11-29T15:08:38.5572103+01:00

Session ID:
9b961c86-05b5-4f14-86ed-8976b3b32438

Release:
November 2023

Product Version:
2.123.742.0 (23.11) (x64)

Error Message:
An error occurred while trying to open 'C:\Users\XXX\Trading.Report\definition.pbir': Array cannot be null.
Parameter name: bytes

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)

Stack Trace Message:
An error occurred while trying to open 'C:\Users\XXX\Trading.Report\definition.pbir': Array cannot be null.

Invocation Stack Trace:

InnerException0.Stack Trace Message:
Array cannot be null.

InnerException0.Stack Trace:
   at System.Text.Encoding.GetString(Byte[] bytes)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CustomVisuals.JsonCustomVisualPackageManifest.Deserialize(Byte[] manifestBytes)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIFileSerializer.DeserializeVisual(IStreamablePowerBIPackagePartContent streamablePackageManifestPartContent, IDictionary`2 customVisualContents)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIFileSerializer.DeserializeCustomVisuals(IDictionary`2 customVisualContents)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIReportPartReader.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<<GetReportParts>b__3>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIReportPartReader.<ReadSection>d__4`1.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIReportPartReader.<GetReportParts>d__2.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.ReportFactory.<CreateReportFromPowerBIStorage>d__2.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromProject>d__17.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromPbir>d__16.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadPbiFile>d__11.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<ExecuteAndHandleFileOpenErrors>d__36.MoveNext()

InnerException0.Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromException(Exception e, String prefix)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromInnerExceptions(Exception e, Int32 depth)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.CreateAdditionalErrorInfo(Exception e)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.22621.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 533320]

Peak Virtual Memory:
70 GB

Private Memory:
282 MB

Peak Working Set:
683 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
88ad398d-b6f5-48ac-99ba-bb4fe930c172

Telemetry Enabled: