Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PostgreSQL Server in isolated network and PowerBI only has access via On-Premise gateway

Hi All,

We have a PostgreSQL database situated in an isolated network with a On-Premise Gatweay allowing us access to the data.  This is working perfectly for our PowerApps but we also have a requirement to build PowerBI Reports.

I am proficient with PowerBI and tried to create a new PowerBI report in Desktop but this failed as I cannot acces the isolated network.  I therefore created a PowerBI Service Connection to the database but there is no way I can link this to a report.

What I need to do is:

• Create a PowerBI report in Desktop, publish it and then update the Dataset to use the new connection

or

• Create a PowerBI report online and use this new connection.  Then I can always download the pbix file and work on it locally.

I know the connection will work fine I just can't work out the steps I need to take to connect my PowerBI report to this new dataset.

Simon

Hi @SHooper 

The data source is on a separate network, so that causes you to have no way to connect to the data source and load the data through Power BI Desktop, right?

So can you go and access this data source directly through a remote? I mean, connect to this datasource through open ports and remote desktop? It's hard to realize your current needs if you don't even have access to the data source on a different network.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @SHooper 

The data source is on a separate network, so that causes you to have no way to connect to the data source and load the data through Power BI Desktop, right?

So can you go and access this data source directly through a remote? I mean, connect to this datasource through open ports and remote desktop? It's hard to realize your current needs if you don't even have access to the data source on a different network.

Best Regards,

SHooper
Regular Visitor

Thanks @v-yetao1-msft 

Yes the Datasourse is remote and accesible through an on-premise gateway.  We can prove this with other apps (Such as Power Apps or Power Automate).

I want to create a report looking at the data but I cannot create a report on the desktop as it cannot be configured to use a Gateway and I can't create a report direct on the PowerBI Service as their is no option to point to SQL or PostgreSQL databases just csv.

Simon

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @SHooper 

You cannot create report from SQL or PostgreSQL databases directly . Because this type of data source needs to be connected through Power BI Desktop and then the report is created and published to Power BI Service.

Since you can go to the data source remotely (IP + port number or domain name + port number), you can use that on Power BI Desktop to access your remote client's data source.

Using the link below as an example, I can have local SQL go through the domain + port to connect to databases on other networks. Similarly, in Power BI Desktop, you can select the SQL connector and enter the remote credentials to get the data from a different network. Of course, the premise is that you can ensure that you have remote privileges, as well as taking into account the security of the account. Because remote credentials are not open to everyone.

Connect to SQL Servers in another domain using Windows Authentication (mssqltips.com)

Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,