Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mobile Layout - BUG - Manually changing Visual Position (Horiztonal and Vertical go to - numbers)

Hi there,

I've run into a bit of an issue in Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.109.782.0 64-bit (September 2022)) using the Mobile Layout.  Frequently when trying to change the Position of a visualisation, it will ignore the numbers that I'm typing into the Horizontal and/or Vertical text box and the numbers will go negative, effectively removing the visual from the screen.

In the below example, I'm using a CARD visual and trying to type in the position of Horizontal = 18, Vertical = 1140 (with a height of 100 and width of 18).  It has changed the values to Horizontal = -215, Vertical = -115 and the visualisation has disappeared from the screen.  I'm not able to get it back.  Each time I change the Horiztonal or Vertical position it just ignores my values and keeps it as a negative.  I was able to type Horizontal = 0 and Vertical = 0 but once I click off this layer and click back it reverts to the Horizontal = -215 and Vertical = -115.

I can't remove this layer as it doesn't exist on the screen so there is no X to click.  I've tried clicking DELETE when selecting the layer but it doesn't do anything.  The only option I have is to click the option to remove all visualisations and start again (obviously no ideal when I have 20+ visualisations already positioned and adjusted.

This isn't a one-off.  It's happened multiple times in multiple different PBIX files.  I haven't had any issues when I drag and drop visualisations around the screen, but when trying to manually adjust the visualisations this sometimes occurs.

I've attached a screenshot showing the issue.

Power BI - Mobile Layout - Position Negative Numbers Issue.jpg

Thanks

Hi @mav17 ,

When you first create this card visual, what is its default horizontal and vertical?Is it negative from the beginning?

I also created this visual, but it seems that I can change value normally:

vmengzhumsft_0-1664439666377.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @mav17 ,

When you first create this card visual, what is its default horizontal and vertical?Is it negative from the beginning?

I also created this visual, but it seems that I can change value normally:

vmengzhumsft_0-1664439666377.png

Best regards,

tonethf
Regular Visitor

Hi, 
I experience the same issue. Once I try to type anything into the Positions the numbers just randomly change.
My visual started with Horizontal = 162. When I try to manually change the number, starting with pressing delete once, it suddenly shows Horizontal = 6, and if I try to type into it, it becomes a large negative number.

Super frustrating.
A quick fix of this bug would be highly appreciated, @v-mengzhu-msft. Thank you.

BR.

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft,

I drag and drop the visuals onto the mobile layout and I'm 99% sure they've always been positive values once they're initally placed on the mobile layout (with the values corresponding correctly to the position I've dragged them onto).

I've never had any issues manually dragging and dropping the visuals around the screen, it only happens when I type it in and as mentioned it doesn't happen all the time (although it is extremely frequent -  it was the 20th visual I'd added to this page on this report)

Interestingly I was eventually able to delete the layer/visual from the report (after multiple attempts, and multiple times I closed/re-opened Power BI Desktop).  Once deleted, I was able to re-add the visual without any issues and was able to move it to the correct location (although I did do it via dragging and dropping instead of manually keying the position).

@tonethf has described the situation well.  Occasionally it will only break Horizontal or Vertical in which case I can generally delete the visual and re-add it.  In the case I initially mentioned it broke both the Horizontal and Vertical which meant it wasn't showing on the report at all and thus was extremely painful to delete.

Let me know if I haven't answered your question well enough or if you need more information and thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jason

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft 

Just to add to this:

It probably won't make any difference but I have Snap to Grid and Gridlines turned on.  Based on the size of your visual in the screenshot, I'm guessing that you had snap to grid off?

Regards,

Jason

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mav17 ,

Yes, at the beginning I did not turn on the gridlines, so I did a second test and you can see that I have turned on the relevant options and then created a very simple card visual:

vmengzhumsft_0-1664445394343.png

Strangely enough, in my tests, I am still able to modify the value of the position normally without error and the version is the same as yours.
Can you try to create a card visual in a separate blank page and to see if it still get the same error?Thanks in advance~

Best regards,

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft,

I'm able to re-produce the same issue with different visualisations on different pages as well as different reports (seperate PBIX files). 

Having said that, I just created a brand new Power BI file (on a different computer) with 2 manually created tables (no datasources) and created a couple of visualisations and couldn't replicate the issue.  I was able to add about 10 different visualisations and move them around freely without any issue.

Is there any way to produce logging from one of my existing files as I can nearly guarantee I'll be able to break it tomorrow?

Thanks,

Jason

tonethf
Regular Visitor

Hi, 
If it can help in the troubleshooting; changing the Size manually works as expected, its only an issue for Position.

BR.

mav17
Regular Visitor

Same issue with me.  Only position is an issue for me.  

To add to this, I've tried the same file on another PC and it still breaks.  Different Visual (Text Box this time) and different page than the issue reported earlier.

Regards,

Jason

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mav17 ,

So the position issue is only appearing in your current file? Even if you open the file on a different computer, the error still exists, but creating a brand new file alone is normal?

And you mention produce log, what logs do you want to see, and if they are for files, perhaps you can check if there is a problem by going through the following option.

vmengzhumsft_0-1664780197382.png

Best regards,

mav17
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft,

The position issue occurs in multiple pages in multiple files across multiple computers using multiple visuals.

As mentioned by @tonethf , the same issue is happening to them using a different file / computer / sources etc.

I did create a new file with manually entered data and didn't have an issue in the 20 or so tests that I did but maybe that just wasn't enough.

I'll try the Enable tracing to see if that has any information.

Regards,

Jason