Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Issue/bug with RLS

I have a data model / report with a wide distribution list. Recently we experienced a critical error with our dynamic RLS setup. It has been working perfectly for months. We narrowed it down to Companies, who has not been properly registered in the Company master table, but somehow exist in our Security/ User Bridge. Please follow this illustration of the data model RLS filtering as user@user.com opens the Power BI App:  

Sumsar_0-1702365849682.png

As you can see, user@user.com is logging into the Power BI app, and the User table is properly filtered down to only his username. The UserBridge is also correctly filtered, though the corresponding CompanyId in this table, doesn't find a match in the Company table. Thus the Company table throws a blank filter to the Service table, which again, at least it SHOULD propagate to the Billing table. However as you can see the billing table returns a few lines with blank ServiceId values, which is expected due to the omission of a CompanyID in the Company table (and the fact that the Billing table, while not intended, contains rows with blank ServiceIds), BUT it also returns a subset of seemingly random ServiceId lines. How this is even possible, is simply beyond my understanding of how RLS works in Power BI. I get the same test result offline in Power BI Desktop.

I have posted this as a question in the forums, but have not gotten any feedback, so I am starting to suspect that this is indeed a general issue/bug. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Hi  @Sumsar 

There is no similar known issue, can you provide your sample for reference?

You mentioned that you get the same test result offline in Power BI Desktop, have you done any updates? What is your Desktop and Service version ?

You can provide your sample via the method in the link

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi  @Sumsar 

There is no similar known issue, can you provide your sample for reference?

You mentioned that you get the same test result offline in Power BI Desktop, have you done any updates? What is your Desktop and Service version ?

You can provide your sample via the method in the link

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Sumsar
Helper II

Tested in two desktop versions:

Version: 2.122.1066.0 64-bit (October 2023)

Version: 2.123.742.0 64-bit (November 2023)

And in Service:

Version:13.0.22202.65

Link to sample file sent as PM.

Sumsar
Helper II

Bump 😞

Edit: I think this issue is pretty well described, and still no suggestions?