Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Getting an issue in logging into external tenant organization from Power BI desktop.

Getting an issue in logging into external tenant organization from Power BI desktop , Switching organization from PBI Desktop to other PBI tenants Login and Sign in from PBI Desktop only recognizing now Corp Tenant ID only not external tenant login ID.

Hi @sgrewal 

Power BI Desktop has no login restrictions for external tenants. The only restriction is when it comes to sharing. Internal users are not allowed to share content directly from within the organization to external users, and there is no distinction between inside and outside the organization when logging into PBI Desktop or PBI Service. Unless your company's network security guidelines restrict the use of other domains.

I was able to log in to PBI Desktop using the two accounts in the screenshot, obviously they are not part of the same organization.

vyetao1msft_0-1685500748361.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
Bourgi
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft

Any updates on the fix? Still not fixed in july 2023 release. I had to reinstall april 2023.

sgrewal
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft Yes still no fix for this issue, waiting from last few months and raised issue via support ticket also.

RitzCracker
Advocate I

I upgraded to Version:Version: 2.119.986.0 64-bit (July 2023) and this how I'm logging into a specific tenent in 9 easy steps:

After opening PowerBi Desktop, close out the opening dialog to a blank page. then click on your account name

1. Select "Sign in with a different Account
    RitzCracker_0-1691781144054.png

2. Enter your Email 

RitzCracker_1-1691781197249.png

3. Choose Work or School account

RitzCracker_2-1691781241004.png

4. DON'T enter your email, select Sign in Options

RitzCracker_3-1691781346377.png

5. Select "Sign into an Organization"

RitzCracker_4-1691781436058.png

6. Enter your Organization's Domain name and press "Next"

RitzCracker_5-1691781533147.png

7. OK! now we can Sign in ... again

RitzCracker_6-1691781622627.png

8. and now enter your password :

RitzCracker_7-1691781734647.png
  9. FINALLY! You will be asked to Stay Signed into all of your accounts.  DON'T DO IT!! or you'll have start all over again! Click on No, sign in to this app only!

RitzCracker_8-1691781957295.png

So now, carefully open the PBIX you want to work with. Pray to the Microsoft gods it doesn't open in a new window. 

So there, simple right?!

Let me know if this works for you or if you know of an easier way. Thanks for reading!

Bourgi
Regular Visitor

Hi @RitzCracker 

It still does not work in Version: 2.120.731.0 64-bit (augustus 2023)

I followed every step in the guide, and it still logs me in on the standard company tenant instead of the external tenant. I still have to go back to the april release where this functions.

The userids(~email)are the same, so maybe that is confusing for the newly released logon software?

Bourgi
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft Gentle reminder... is anyone still looking at this bug?
We are still tied to the April 2023 release because of this problem.