Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

File contains corrupted data when trying to Open Power BI (October 2018)

Details of Error Message when trying to open up Power BI:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
File contains corrupted data.

Stack Trace:

at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream) at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager) at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream) at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming) at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming) at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.PqxFile.Open(Byte[] bytes) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryFile.New(Byte[] bytes, LibraryFile& result, Exception& error) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.LibraryInfo..ctor(LibraryService service, ILibrary library) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.GetLibraryInfo(ILibrary library) at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.EnumerateAndLoadLibraries() at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.LibraryService.Reinitialize(ILibraryProvider[] providers) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.LoadModules(Trace innerTrace, IList`1 binaryModules, ILibraryProvider[] providers) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHost.Activate(IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UiExtensibility.UiExtensionHostManager.RegisterAndActivateUiExtensionHost(UiExtensionHost uiExtensionHost, IList`1 libraryExtensions, IApplicationPaths applicationPaths, ILibraryProvider internalProvider, String remoteExtensionsUrl) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.PowerQueryExtensionsLoader.<Load>b__0() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass7.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__6() at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message: File contains corrupted data.

Invocation Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace() at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0() at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e) at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Comments
becerrajl

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

This is the first time installing PBI in this computer. I didn't have a chance to use it. or create a pbix file,

The problem happens when launching Power BI desktop,

Kind regards,

Jorge

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @becerrajl

Please ensure your machine meet this minimum requirements: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-get-the-desktop#minimum-requirements. 

Please troubleshoot the issue follow this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-error-launching-desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

AncaM

Hello,

I had the same issue as everyone here. When I installed the latest update I was unable to open Power BI because the file was corrupted.

I tried on a different PC with the same windows system and it worked perfectly fine.

I did the following and it made Power BI run again:

1. Uninstall Power BI
  2. Restart PC
  3. Search on C drive for any Power BI files and I deleted all files related to Power BI (there were a couple of folders in temp)
  4. Download the installation kit from Power BI home and install it
  5. Run as administrator

It worked for me and I hope this will help others.

Regards,

Anca

nferay
Frequent Visitor

Hello, 

I had the same issue as everyone here with november update

I tested all the solutions given and nothing works.

When I install the May update, everything works ??

Regards 

Nicolas