Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Email subscriptions are missing

I am using email subscriptions for two reports:

Report A, has about 10 recipients, has been active for about half a year without issue. Configured using a separate account used for PBI admin tasks.

Report B, 3 recipients, subscription created 3 weeks ago. Configured using my own PBI account.

While investigating a user query, I noticed that both of these subscriptions no longer exist.

I did not delete either subscription.

I checked the activity events logs (downloaded via PBI Admin REST API), and there are no "Delete" entries for either of these subscriptions.

To compare, when I created and deleted a few test subscriptions, those delete events are recorded in the event log.

I found this post on the forum dating back to 2020: subscription gets deleted when I republish an exis... - Page 3 - Microsoft Fabric Community

I tested various combinations of creating new subscriptions, publishing updated versions of reports, replacing reports, updating apps, and was not able to reproduce this issue (that is, I was not able to delete the subscription by updating the report as is the case in the linked issue).

According to this post, the issue was originally resolved in 2020, although in 2021 and 2022 other users reported the same or similar issue occurring.

Kindly fix this issue, as I would prefer to use a built-in solution for email alerts instead of 3rd party applications (e.g. PBI robots)

EDIT:

After some additional testing, I have a working theory about what happened.

I tested some variations of deleting apps, removing access, etc.

I am able to get the subscription to be "deleted" using the following methods:

Method 1

1. Create the subscription to the app.

2. Delete the app from my apps list.

3. Subscription no longer appears.

4. After reinstalling the app, it appears again.

Method 2

1. Add a second user account X as an audience member of the app.

2. Using account X, create an app subscription.

3. Remove user X from the app audience.

4. The subscription no longer appears.

5. After re-adding user X to the app audience, the subscription appears again.

My working theory is that I created these app subscriptions using my user account, and removed my own account from access at some point in order to test some security settings, which caused the subscription to be deleted.

Based on the subscription re-appearing after regaining access, I assume that the subscription is "hidden" initially, and perhaps deleted fully as a cleanup step later?

Hi  @averagedaxuser ,

The deployment process for fixing known issue “The subscriptions created on the app version of the report are getting deleted after "Update app" action in workspace.” is currently underway, and arrivals may not be consistent across different regions, so please be patient if you are experiencing a similar issue.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @averagedaxuser ,

The deployment process for fixing known issue “The subscriptions created on the app version of the report are getting deleted after "Update app" action in workspace.” is currently underway, and arrivals may not be consistent across different regions, so please be patient if you are experiencing a similar issue.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn