Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Copy Function Not Working in DAX Query View (may 2024 and QF1)

In the May 2024 release(s) of Power BI (including version QF1 2.129.1229.0), there is an issue with the DAX Query View where the 'Copy' function does not work as expected. Although the 'Copy' button is available and no error message is displayed, clicking the button does not copy the results to the clipboard.

One of the key features of the DAX Query View is the ability to export intermediate query results, refine or filter them in Excel, and further improve them using DAX. This feature is especially beneficial for users transitioning from Excel to Power BI. Perfect, MS! However, the inability to copy and paste query results significantly reduces the functionality of this tool.

Steps to Reproduce the Bug:

1. Create a query in DAX Query View.
  2. Click the 'Copy' button.
    HewBR_1-1717156052462.png
  3. Attempt to paste the results in any text editor or Excel.

Expected Result: The selected query results should be copied to the clipboard and should be pasteable in any text editor or Excel.

Actual Result: Nothing is copied to the clipboard, regardless of whether cells are selected or not.

Please address this issue to restore the full functionality of the DAX Query View.

Hi  @HewBR 

Thanks for your feedback, Power BI Desktop was updated on June 11th for the month of June. Users who are having the same issue can update your Desktop via this link.Thanks again for your cooperation! 

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @HewBR 

Based on the scenario you describe, I upgraded Desktop to 2.129.1229.0 64-bit (May 2024) and tested it. Here are the results of my test, I was able to copy the query to Excl,and did not have the problem you described.

vyetao1msft_0-1717382558626.png

vyetao1msft_2-1717382579631.png

May I ask how did you update your Desktop? Did you install it from a re-downloaded installer after uninstalling the original Desktop?

Best Regards,

TM_Visual
Advocate III

I have the same issue as HewBR (btw, good job on a very comprehensive bug report).

I am on the version  v-yetao1-msft suggests, 2.129.1229.0 64-bit (May 2024).

My copy function works with a simple EVALUATE query for a whole table, or a CALCULATETABLE. It works with a TOPN  within that. It stops working when I introduce the SUMMARIZE function. 

When SUMMARIZE is used, I am unable to copy the results of a DAX Query View query, either by using the 'Copy' button, or by selecting multiple cells in the table. I cannot copy using ctrl-c (or right click) when selecting the whole table, columns, or rows. I am able to copy the contents of a single cell by selecting it and using ctrl-c.

I do not know if this is just SUMMARIZE, or if it applies to some other functions as well.

abhishekrws01
Helper I

Thank you for highlighting this. I also have a similar issue post-May release.

Any workaround would be very helpful.

Thanks

HewBR
Advocate I

Good news. It is fixed in the PBI desktop june24 version.
I tested with standard 'show top 100 rows' query, but also some queries that included SUMMARIZECOLUMNS, FILTER, SUMMARIZE... and all worked.
As a bonus, we got the possibility of copy selected cells. 

HewBR_0-1718176100718.png
Thank you PBI team. 

TM_Visual
Advocate III

Great! Thanks to the PBI devs and to HewBR for originally flagging.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi  @HewBR 

Thanks for your feedback, Power BI Desktop was updated on June 11th for the month of June. Users who are having the same issue can update your Desktop via this link.Thanks again for your cooperation! 

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,