Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Conditional formatting by a different field does not work when there is a single value in the table

Hey,

This new conditional formatting by a different field is a great feature but somehow it does not work when you have only a single value in the table. With more than one value the feature works perfectly fine when I apply color to Value field based on Value_vs_target (= IF(SUM([Value])>SUM([Target]), 1, IF(SUM([Value])<SUM([Target]), -1, 0))) following below rules:Conditional formatting rules.JPG

Conditional formatting table.JPG

The problem is that when I remove the Time field from the table, conditional formatting stops working as well.

Conditional formatting issue.JPG

I couldn't find any documentation about the limitations of conditional formatting so is this a bug or a limitation?

I would like to use single field tables with conditional formatting as KPIs since in the current KPI chart I'm not able to adjust the font size. I have already voted on the KPI customization (font size) idea https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15679131-kpi-customization-font-s... and hope it would be implemented as soon as possible so there would be no need to use these workarounds...

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Kamarto,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 69634617, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

RamySaroufim
Employee

Thanks, @Kamarto for your feedback.

This is by design so far.

Conditional formatting, Gradient/Rule-Based, with same/different measure, has this limitation.

The reason is, we allow setting "Auto" ranges, which uses Min/Max of the data. It was a dicision that is not particularly useful, and maybe ambiguous, in case of a single row (or more precisely, no grouping). We consider that single row as a GrandTotal.

Don't get me wrong, you concern is still valid. I'll forward your feedback to the team and re-evaluate our decision.

To get you unblocked, you can create a new Column as a constant value, and add it as a Group to the Table. Good news is it will work, bad news is you will have a redundent Column which you can decrease the column width to Minimum for.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Kamarto
Regular Visitor

Thanks @RamySaroufim for your workaround suggestion!

I actually did something similar by adding date as another column, filtered to use just the latest date and re-sized the column to minimum so that it becomes invisible.

RamySaroufim
Employee

Good idea .. that works too!

Power BI is an ever-evolving product. We, as a team, are proud to consider ourselves customer-oriented.

I'd encourage you to Create/Vote-up on an idea that allows Conditional Formatting over Totals (or no grouping case). We would be glad to hear your ideas and merge them with our internal discussions.

Thanks again for being a Power BI user, and for your valuable feedback!

-Ramy