Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Calculation Group causing report not to load in PBI service (works in Desktop)

Since yesterday 12/15/22, a report that was working for several weeks in Power BI service will no longer render.  It continues to work fine and refresh fine in Power BI Desktop.  The report shows the following error in PBI Service:

wicket250_0-1671221683034.png

Further, when attempting to connect to the dataset as a data source in a new .pbix file, the following error code was rendered:

wicket250_1-1671221730907.png

After troubleshooting we determined it was the presence of a calculation group in the model that caused the error.  When removing the calculation group, the report renders in Power BI Service.  When it's added, the error message appears.

Oddly, when viewing in Edit mode, you'll see that the visuals still render (you can see the visual header tooltips) but there are no tables present in the model.

wicket250_2-1671221926539.png

Again, this report works absolutely fine in Power BI desktop.  Only an issue when published.

The calculation group has one calc item that is used as a page filter to format some measures based on the format string stored in a column.  Removing the page filter, changing the format string DAX logic, modifying the calculation item, etc. does not make any difference.  The only way to have the report render is to delete the calculation group entirely.  

wicket250_3-1671222027926.png

I also attempted to recreate the model in another report in case the .pbix file was corrupted, and the same error occurred in Power BI service.

Please assist, thank you!

Hi @wicket250 

What is your data source ? If you add the calculation group in Desktop not in your data source , can you laod your data in Power BI Service ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @wicket250 

What is your data source ? If you add the calculation group in Desktop not in your data source , can you laod your data in Power BI Service ?

Best Regards,

wicket250
Advocate I

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

I'm connected to a SQL server.  The tables are import mode and I'm creating the data model in Power BI Desktop.  The calculation group is being created using Tabular Editor as an external tool in the Desktop model.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @wicket250 

Emm , if you create the calculation group directly in Desktop , can you see the data in Service ?

Best Regards,

wicket250
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft Yes I created the calculation group directly in Desktop using Tabular Editor 2 in the External Tools tab (see documentation below, this is the only way to set up calculation groups in Desktop).  The solution was working for 8+ months and then recently stopped rendering in Power BI Service.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/training/modules/dax-power-bi-calculation-groups/