Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Calculated column works in Power BI desktop but not Power BI service. Visual won't load.

I have a pie chart visual in my report that uses a calculated column as one of the fields. Up until now it stopped working in Power BI service. Nothing has changed on the report and it has always worked in the past. The visual works fine in Power BI desktop but when published to Service it gives me an error. Any ideas why it would stop working suddenly?

chang_B_0-1676468657256.png

Hi @chang_B 

It’s a known issue . The engineers are actively working on this issue and I will come back with an update if there is any progress.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @chang_B 

If you add the calculated column in other visuals and publish it to Service ,can the data in visuals be loaded in Service ?

Best Regards,

chang_B
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft  No for any visuals that uses the calculated column, it will not load in Service. Not sure if it matters that my table with the calculated column is a direct query but I did not have any issues in the past until last week.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @chang_B 

Did you make updates during this period ? You mentioned the calculated column is a direct query ,did you configure data source in Power BI Service ?

Best Regards,

chang_B
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft 

No updates were made and the data source is configured in Service. Here is the part that I am confused about. I deleted the report from my workspace and uploaded a new version. I did not turn on the scheduled refresh and all visuals work in Power BI Service. But when I turn on the scheduled refresh I get the same error.

irislarin
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue. No changes made to model and from one day to the next all the calculated columns  are showing the same error as  in the example submitted by original poster. What changed?

cedouard

Exact same issue here. No update was made to the dashboard, only daily refresh for the data.

My calculated column isn't taking fields from other Direct Query tables or so.

It just failed online during the week-end without anyone working on it, and I'm not able to make it work again...

But it works in Power BI Desktop.

JamesG1978
Regular Visitor

Same issue here.

I'm getting this issue with several Direct Query measures.  The DQ is to another Power BI data model and no changes have been made to either data model. 

The issue began after a refresh on Saturday morning; I send out some subscriptions which helped identify the date.

Both related Power BI models refresh and work locally having exported direct from the service.

JamesG1978
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msftI'll answer these based on what appears to be the same issue which has come about since Saturday.  This seems to be when other community members began responding with the same issue.

1. No updates made to the Power BI data models.
    • My direct queries are to another Power BI data model within the service
  2. I've added the calculated columns to test table visual with no measures and calculated column data gets displayed.  ** Apparently this is sporadic as its now producing the same error.  Possibly because the page is selected when published.  Refreshing the webpage (not report) produced the same error  **   
    • I added a measure to the same table and get the same error
  3. The data sources are correctly configured in the service

JamesG1978
Regular Visitor

@v-yetao1-msftas I'm using two Power BI data models so I decided to try moving the calculated column to the model being queried.

This appears to be ok as a work around but might not apply to everyone.

irislarin
Regular Visitor

Will not work in my case, I don't own the model being queried.