Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bind to parameter not showing in Modeling tab if warning triangle shows up under Manage Parameters

Bind to parameter not showing at all for any column in Modeling tab. I could solve it after one of the existing paramters under Manage Parameters in Power Query Editor was showing a warning triangle and I refreshed the M-Query the parameter was used in. After that the warning trinagle disappeard and Bind to parameter showed up again.

Hi @danicasa 

Dynamic M query parameters  (Bind to parameter option) is only available for some Direct Query source.

There are some considerations and limitations to consider when using dynamic M query parameters:

• A single parameter cannot be bound to multiple fields nor vice-versa.

• The feature is only supported for M based data sources. The following DirectQuery sources are not supported:

• T-SQL based data sources: SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Synapse SQL pools (such as Azure Synapse Analytics (formerly SQL Data Warehouse)), and Synapse SQL OnDemand pools
    • Live connect data sources: Azure Analysis Services, SQL Server Analysis Services, Power BI Datasets
    • Other unsupported data sources: Oracle, Teradata, and Relational SAP Hana, PostgreSQL
    • Partially supported through XMLA / TOM endpoint programmability: SAP BW and SAP Hana
  • Aggregations are not supported with the feature

• Row-level security (RLS) is not supported with the feature

• Parameter names cannot be reserved words in DAX nor contain spaces. Appending "Parameter" to the end of the parameter name can help avoid this limitation.

For more information, please refer to

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @danicasa 

Dynamic M query parameters  (Bind to parameter option) is only available for some Direct Query source.

There are some considerations and limitations to consider when using dynamic M query parameters:

• A single parameter cannot be bound to multiple fields nor vice-versa.

• The feature is only supported for M based data sources. The following DirectQuery sources are not supported:

• T-SQL based data sources: SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Synapse SQL pools (such as Azure Synapse Analytics (formerly SQL Data Warehouse)), and Synapse SQL OnDemand pools
    • Live connect data sources: Azure Analysis Services, SQL Server Analysis Services, Power BI Datasets
    • Other unsupported data sources: Oracle, Teradata, and Relational SAP Hana, PostgreSQL
    • Partially supported through XMLA / TOM endpoint programmability: SAP BW and SAP Hana
  • Aggregations are not supported with the feature

• Row-level security (RLS) is not supported with the feature

• Parameter names cannot be reserved words in DAX nor contain spaces. Appending "Parameter" to the end of the parameter name can help avoid this limitation.

For more information, please refer to

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

vaibhav_23
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for sharing!

Bind parameter option limitations is a blocker for most of the projects where user wants to use direct query but dont want to fetch all the data. It should be default basic offering from the Product. Imagine all the Tableau dashboards where it is commonly used and now they want to migrate it to PBI. 

In my case I use Postgresql and cant develop a report without this feature as we have huge data. 

Any idea if Microsoft considering to release this feature for all relational datbases? 

Ankita_Jain

Hi,

I am new to Power BI and looking for some help with parameters and M-query.

I am connecting to Teradata from Power BI Desktop. And I want to use a custom SQL with Start_Date and End_Date Parameters such that when user changes the start and end date, only the relevant data should be fetched from the underlying database table. I followed the steps mentioned in below documentation -

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop 

However,  I do not see the 'Bind To Parameter' option in advanced setting of the newly created StartDate field. Can someone please help!

Thanks in advance.