Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

An unexpected error occured (file'pfoledbreader.cpp', line 836, function 'PFDBReaderOledb::Bind').

Hi,

When I try to use a field (table imported from Sharepoint) and use it as a column in a table visual, I get this error message and the table visual doesn't load. I found that I get this error for some pages and not for others (all pages have table visuals, but not the same filters) within the same report file. 

The last time this was mentioned on this forum it was said that the November 2022 update resolved this issue. Can I have some help to resolve this? 

My current workaround is removing some fields, but this is not sustainable in the longrun as I will eventually need the information from these fields.

I am using the February 2023 version of PowerBI.

ejl_0-1678784978898.png 

TIA!

Hi @Anonymous 

What fields are causing this error to be reported? Can you provide more information about the issue you mentioned with the 2022 version fixed?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Anonymous 

What fields are causing this error to be reported? Can you provide more information about the issue you mentioned with the 2022 version fixed?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yetao1-msft Thank u for ur response.

Without giving out sensitive information, I am:

- building multiple table visuals in PowerBI (1 table visual on each of the 4 pages of my report, so total of 4 table visuals. They use the same fields, just different filters)

- 10 column fields are pulled in from 2 different DirectQuery sources 

- 1 column field is pulled in from SharePoint 

I have tried a few times on different versions of the same design file, and I notice that I will randomly run into the error as mentioned in the post. 

1. Instance 1: I got the error after I added the column from Sharepoint, and I noticed that the error occurred when I used columns from Table A. The error didn't occur if I used other fields from other tables, even if they were from the same DirectQuery source. The strange thing is, this error only occurs on the table visual on my 1st page, the other 3 table visuals on my other 3 pages work perfectly even though all use the same fields just different filters.  
  2. Instance 2: When I added the column from Sharepoint, all was fine. However, if I try to add a 12th column (using a field from DirectQuery source), I get the error. Error would be resolved if I didn't add this 12th column. I get this error accross all pages of my report. 
  3. Instance 3: After Instance 2, I found that if I changed my relationship of the Sharepoint table from one to one to many to many, the error would be gone, but my table visual would show information in the wrong way in my Sharepoint column (instead of showing one value like it is supposed to, it shows all the possible values). I get this error across all pages of my report.

I am referencing this post (Solved: Refresh Failed:  'file 'pfoledbreader.cpp', line 8... - Microsoft Power BI Community ) that mentioned that the November 2023 update resolved this issue, but I am running on February 2023 version and am facing this problem.