Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Add "Remove Data Source" functionality from DataFlow view

Hi!

I'm currently facing issues with not being able to remove a data source that I added to my power bi service dataflow. I, by mistake, added a test-environment data source to one of my dataflows and now I cannot remove it. The fact that the test-environment datasource is still in the dataflows stops me from scheduling updates since I no longer can update credentials. 

I would therefore like to suggest that you add functionality to remove the data source from the dataflow view.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @SEMattis

You can edit the dataflow, then go to Power Query online, find the query related to the data source you mentioned, right click on it and select Delete. Save the dataflow. 

q2.PNG

Best REgards,
Qiuyun Yu

OnurOrcun
Regular Visitor

Having the same issue although there is no query linked to the data source, in Power BI Data source credentials it shows the source as invalid

ElenaSSF
Advocate I

Same issue here.  I have a dataflow that pulls in two spreadsheets from sharepoint.  But when I went to edit the credentials it references a third I'd done name changes on months ago.  I can't update that credential as the file doesn't exist, and don't want to.  But in the list of credentials and the lineage view there's no way to delete it.   I really don't want to have to rebuild the dataflow from scratch just to get past this.

I got around it by copying the currently named table to the old name in the sharepoint library.   But I still can't eliminate it as a source altogether.   Am I missing something or is this actually rediculous?

Anonymous
Not applicable

makes lineage view super cluttered and confusing if data sources ever change. Deleting a dataflow isn't a viable solution for this.

kvallecillog
I'm having the same issue, an entity that was removed is causing credential issues that block refreshing.
Error: SharePoint: Request failed  xlsx api contextinfo
MaxPower1

One easy workaround is to remove all data sources in the code and then export the Dataflow as .json and import it as a DF model again. This takes only a couple of minutes and the old data sources are gone.  

mansivora
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft - Even after deleting the query on PBI dataflow, the data source is still listed when trying to schedule refresh. It is a major issue when we don't have access to some of those source any more.

MOO

This function to remove old dataflows is needed.  Either that or allow editing of the JSON for dataflows.  The work around of exporting the JSON and re-importing it is not only clunky, but it also breaks all links to the data flow because the ID changes.