Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

"an unexpected error occurred" when trying to preview a dataset table on power BI service

When I try to preview any of the tables in one of my datasets, I get an error stating that "an unexpected error occurred". When I click "See Details", it says the following:

 

An unexpected error occurred

Timestamp: 2023-02-06T14:22:11.147Z
Root activity ID: 66340030-4e53-b4d8-ff2a-0601d62c8547
Session ID: 00004724b3d64d9cb66bb9385c0781e2
Tenant ID: c5560579-eae4-4b08-9c38-4d287dc1994d
Cluster: https://wabi-west-us-d-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
Report ID: null
ReportViewerVersion: 2023.1.4.249

 

I'm not having the same issue with any of my other datasets. I have already tried deleting the report and related dataset from Power Bi Service and republishing them from Power BI Desktop, but I'm still getting the same result. 

 

Any ideas?

Status: Needs Info

Hi @markandrew 

1. What is your data source ? How did you connect to the data source ?

2. Did you compare the differences between the error dataset and other normal datasets ?

3. Can you preview any of the tables in the dataset normally before ?

 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @markandrew 

1. What is your data source ? How did you connect to the data source ?

2. Did you compare the differences between the error dataset and other normal datasets ?

3. Can you preview any of the tables in the dataset normally before ?

 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

markandrew
Regular Visitor

HI Ailsa,

 

As I was checking my data sources to answer your questions, I realized what the issue was. A few days back, as one of my reports had evolved, I changed the name of the report and republished it. So, in Power BI Service I had the original report and dataset, plus I also had the new (updated) report and dataset that corresponded to the new filename. The dataset I was having issues with was the new one. Once I retraced my steps and realized that I no longer need the original report and dataset, I deleted both reports and datasets (the original and updated version) from Power BI Service, then republished. After doing that, I can preview tables in the new dataset no problem. I don't fully understand what the issue was, but I assume that changing the filename caused some sort of confusion in the dataset. Deleting both versions from Power BI Service and republishing just the updated one from my original Desktop PBIX file solved the issue.